Sign in to follow this  

Hauling Bike Question

I'm posting this here because I have a 450, and because I know there are some sharp folks that frequent this forum. I just ordered an 05 super duty F350, long bed crew cab, dual rear wheels. We were thinking of getting a fifth wheel toy hauler, but can't find any that we really like. Now we're thinking of maybe a conventional pull trailer, and hauling the bikes in the back of the truck. I have the 450, the wife has a 100, and the kids each have 50's. I am wondering how many bikes it is normally considered possible to haul in the bed of a long bed truck? I am thinking I could get possibly three full size bikes, and maybe put one of the small ones on a receiver hitch carrier on the back of the trailer. Any thoughts or advice would be extremely appreciated.

It is possible to get 3 full sized bikes in that bed but it's going to be tight...you may have to put the middle bike in backwards. the problem is the handle bars.

If you got the cash for a toy hauler that's the way to go, you can build in a mini workshop so downed bikes don't ruin you weekend.

JJ,

We've put 3 in a pickup, you just need to back the middle one in. No problem. We tied the middle down in such a way that the tension was off the tailgate.

Thanks! I was figuring three would probably fit. My wife doesn't like any of the toy hauler interiors. We're going to take a few months off this winter and do some riding in various states, and she wants to be pretty comfy in the process. Most of the TH's don't have multiple slides, which is understandable. Any suggestions on a well made toy hauler that would haul four bikes and has a couple of slides would be great though.

I'm posting this here because I have a 450, and because I know there are some sharp folks that frequent this forum. I just ordered an 05 super duty F350, long bed crew cab, dual rear wheels. We were thinking of getting a fifth wheel toy hauler, but can't find any that we really like. Now we're thinking of maybe a conventional pull trailer, and hauling the bikes in the back of the truck. I have the 450, the wife has a 100, and the kids each have 50's. I am wondering how many bikes it is normally considered possible to haul in the bed of a long bed truck? I am thinking I could get possibly three full size bikes, and maybe put one of the small ones on a receiver hitch carrier on the back of the trailer. Any thoughts or advice would be extremely appreciated.

Just out of curiosity...it sounds like you're starting from scratch (you said you just ordered the truck and don't have a trailer yet), if you wanted serious comfort (like multiple slides) and room for 4 bikes why didn't you get a nice class C (or even class A) motorhome and an enclosed trailer for the bikes?

you can get 3 full size bikes in straight and you can get 2 minnies in back wards AND close the tail gate in a long bed super duty...

I hope you got the diesel and the trailer brake package that is integrated into the brake system...Ford superduty is untouchable for 05.

heres 3 in shortbed pickup with a bed box...your will have 2 more feet plus be deeper and wider...

P1010146_JPG.jpg

Toy haulers are great...5th wheel will pull nicer and have a nicer front room.

Travel trailers are nice as well and you can fabricate a rack to the back of them that will carry 2 full size bikes...a guy in my club did this for 3 years and he finally sacked up and bought a 30 ft toy hauler...

You won't have any problem they will all fit! Put the 450 behind the driver side in the bed acourse pointing front wheel first.Then Put the 100 behind the passanger's side front wheel forward.Place the one 50 cc inbetween the two front wheel forward.Then you can place the other 50 frontwheel facing the tail gate.P.S. If you have the $ buy a 5th wheel toy hualer

I drive a F150 8ft bed

We just got rid of a 32' class A. We didn't like having to choose between towing a car for transportation once we got where we were going, or taking the bikes.

I ordered the truck to replace another one. It looks like sec. 179 of the tax code is going away after this year, so it made sense to replace my truck.

Yes, Kritter, I ordered the 6.0 diesel with the 5spd auto, tow command, every option except the moon roof. The integrated brake controller looks like a great idea. It should be here in six weeks or so.

We've looked at a lot of toy haulers, and none of them are appointed the way the wife likes. The class A was really comfy, but we like to explore a bit some times, and towing a car is a pain, and it means the bikes can't go along.

I even thought about ordering a new F550 and getting a really gigantic toy hauling fifth wheel if we could find something she liked, but we couldn't. Even a couple of the ones that had a permanent rear garage just didn't seem to be finished very well in the living area. We thought about a nice fifth wheel, and just making the bike trips a totally separate deal, but that doesn't seem like a good compromise.

The search is on now for a decent travel trailer, and the truck will be hauling the bikes. Thanks for all of the info on packing them in.