Sign in to follow this  

KLX 300 steering stabilizer

I just purchased a KLX 300 (stroker 365 kit etc). I had a blast last weekend riding, but I think it could use a steering stabilizer. GPR has a sweet-trick V. 2 underthe bar mounting stabilizer, but they say it won't mount to the KLX/KDX because the tank-steering column is too close. Has anyone had any luck with steering stabilizers on their 300's. If so, what brand.

Thanks

Brad

I believe bill_p has one. I think he said it was a one of a kind mount and the front of the tank had to be slightly dimpled.

I'm thinking of giving in and getting some suspension work done and slappin' on a steering stabilizer too. BillP has the stabilizer you're talking about, it was their test bike, they hadn't done one on a KLX before, and they said they won't do one again. From what I've heard, the Scott's Steering Stabilizer is better than the original GPR, and the prices are close to the same. Here's the prices for scott's if you're buying from TT:

Full kit that comes with stabilizer-pro taper bars-scotts triple clamp and

all mounting hardware is 598.02 with free shipping.

Steering damper with mounting kit

Bolt on Weld on

418.80 382.80

Free shipping Free shipping

I'm just worried about weld-on kits, I'm pretty sure i'd be welding on aluminum (anybody know for sure), and my welder doesn't do aluminum, and I'm not sure If I'd ever be able to get it off. Anybody know a little more about these?

Thanks,

Kevin

Yup, as far as I know, I've got the only GPR v2.0 on a KLX. Joey at GPR was my neighbor, a great guy and a riding bud and he hooked me up. Unfortunately, the KLX tank is so close to the steering stem that getting the post mount on a KLX is very difficult. They futzed around and futzed around until they got it to work. I think they spent more time than they should have and since they are so popular now, they just don't have time to do "one-offs". Especially on bikes that are not very popular like the KLX. The mount also required the tiniest dimple on the part of the tank closest to the steering stem. No biggie. The stabilizer itself is not the problem. It's a one size fits all bikes. The trick custom part is the postmount. Joey knows that I would like some more v2.0's for buddies riding KLX's and he said if I backwards engineered the postmount that it would be no problem to sell v2.0's to KLX owners. Basically the only other thing you need is an upper tripple to mount the stabilizer to and you're good to go. GPR has BRP triples that easily work with the KLX. If any of you would like one, PM me and if there's enough of you, maybe I'll put my father in law on it. He's a machinist and could fabricate them if I pull mine off my bike.

Now, all that said, I love the GPR. I started off with heavier weight oil and I didn't like it much. After that I put in 7 weight and it still took a while to "break in". After that I loved it. It has saved my bacon a lot of times. It makes riding over roots, rocks and sand much easier. Especially high speed sand. Whoops are more controlled. The only thing I don't like it for is super tight singletrack. If I forget to turn it down, it wears me out. :cry: Overall, I would definately recommend the GPR - especially if you go with the v2.0. I don't like the Scotts because of that big hunk of metal hanging off your handlebars waiting to punch you in the face or chest. If you are very short the v.2.0 might not be your best choice, because it raises your bars about 3/4-1". Other than that - :cry: :cry:

Kevin, personally I wouldn't want a weld on. Also, if you guys want some pics, I can arrange that. Post here.

Joey knows that I would like some more v2.0's for buddies riding KLX's and he said if I backwards engineered the postmount that it would be no problem to sell v2.0's to KLX owners. Basically the only other thing you need is an upper tripple to mount the stabilizer to and you're good to go. GPR has BRP triples that easily work with the KLX. If any of you would like one, PM me and if there's enough of you, maybe I'll put my father in law on it. He's a machinist and could fabricate them if I pull mine off my bike.

Could you please clarify this a little? So, if you have your father-in-law machine the post, then we could the the 2.0? Would we have to buy the upper clamps too? I don't like the idea of having a stabilizer on top of the bars, sounds too dangerous. If you don't mind, could you take some picture of yours Bill?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin - yes, I'll try to clarify. The post is the only part that GPR does not want to fabricate - because it is a tweaky job, involves a minor tank modification (a dimple in the tank), and mostly because they very rarely get anyone asking for a KLX stabilizer. Every day they are barraged with people asking for WR, YZ, CRF, KTM's etc, etc. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that since they are a relatively small company and are innundated with orders they will only build what they can sell a lot of.

There are basically 3 parts you need to do a GPR stabilizer. A triple clamp (because ours is a one piece you need to buy a new triple), the post mount (the only real custom part), and the stabilizer itself. In addition you will need pro tapers or other type of "fat" bars in whatever bend you like. The GPR v.2.0 becomes the "lower" bar perch and is very nicely out of the way and yet easy to adjust on the fly.

So, the v.2.0 is an off the shelf unit and the upper triple is an easily ordered part from BRP. The only thing you need is the post mount and you can order from GRP directly.

I will try to attach some pics later today or tomorrow if I can. If I can get 2-3 guys to help offset the cost of machining and welding some postmounts, I'd have my father in law look into fabricating a few. If not, I'll have the trickest stabilizer in KLXland......

Bill

Luv the stabilizers. I am riding both my kdx and my wr 450 with the W.E.R. because it mounts to the bottom of the tree.

Personally welded the stem mount instead of using the bolt on that is provided. Works great. No matter what brand you decide on, you will love the way it helps control the front end.

Squiishy

Has anyone mounted a W.E.R. stabilizer to a KLX 300? These seem cheaper than the other brands. Rockymountainmc has W.E.R. stabilers for the KLX listed at 319$.

Thanks Bill,

I really like the setup, but I just spent a lot of my money into r/c planes, and can't afford this until next spring after suspension.

Thanks again,

Kevin