Sign in to follow this  

Tire sizes

Need to order a set of MT21 Pirelli's, what sizes go with this bike....'04 DRZ400S? It has punny stock street tires on it now 80/100/21 frt. 120/90/18 rear.

I can't remember what my '01 "E" had on it stock but they were alot bigger than the "S" tires :cry:

So will the Pirelli MT21 size 90/90/21 frt. & 140/80/18 rear work without any problems? clearance on the rear okay with a 140 ie: chain guard?? swingarm?? chain?? or should I put the 130/80 on the back instead. Seems like my old "E" had a 130 on the rear :cry:

you will probably get away with 140 but maybe a word with the supplier before hand could worth it explain to him what you want to do as long as the tyre has not been used he should be happy to exchange for a smaller size :cry:

Need to order a set of MT21 Pirelli's, what sizes go with this bike....'04 DRZ400S? It has punny stock street tires on it now 80/100/21 frt. 120/90/18 rear.

I can't remember what my '01 "E" had on it stock but they were alot bigger than the "S" tires :cry:

So will the Pirelli MT21 size 90/90/21 frt. & 140/80/18 rear work without any problems? clearance on the rear okay with a 140 ie: chain guard?? swingarm?? chain?? or should I put the 130/80 on the back instead. Seems like my old "E" had a 130 on the rear :cry:

a 140 rear will fit fine...many people here run them :cry:

The 140/80-18 is the equivalent of 120/100-18. It will fit once you wiggle it past the brake caliper.

The 140/80-18 is the equivalent of 120/100-18. It will fit once you wiggle it past the brake caliper.

not really - I used to think that also - but they are not sized like p-metric car tires. the first number is the width. period. The second number is a ratio of the height to the width. So a 140/80 is the same width...but shorter than a 140/100 :cry: :cry:

A 140 will fit on your bike but it won't work very well. Your rim isn't wide enough for a 140. It will pull the tire in too much and make it handle weird. I had a 130 on mine and it had a tendency to "fall" in the corners. But I had 130/80. I'm going to try a shorter sidewal and see if it helps. But 140 is too big for a stock rim.

A 140 will fit on your bike but it won't work very well. Your rim isn't wide enough for a 140. It will pull the tire in too much and make it handle weird. I had a 130 on mine and it had a tendency to "fall" in the corners. But I had 130/80. I'm going to try a shorter sidewal and see if it helps. But 140 is too big for a stock rim.

Ah, no :cry:

A: Not all tires are the same,, despite the sizing on the tire. So blanket statements like yours are not valid. Additionally,, folks get the Ap ratio confused.. and compare apples to peanuts :cry:

A 140/80 18 fits just fine thank you :cry:

B: A 140/80 18 In a Mitchlin tire is not to large for the DRZ rear wheel..

C: A 140/80 18 Interco Tera Flex is not to large for a DRZ rear wheel

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/tires/tireinfo.asp

metricdes.gifinchdes.gif

Most tires are measured Width / Aspect Ratio - Rim Diameter. Width in millimeters then the Aspect ratio which is given as a percentage of the width being the height and then the Rim diameter in inches. e.g., 180/55-17 is has a aspect ratio of 55, 55% of a 180mm width in height on a 17 in. rim.

That must mean that at least 75% of the people I've ridden with here in the northwest are riding bikes that handle "weird". :cry: I'd hate to imagine what these guys could do on a "normal" handling bike :cry:. Most use either the two bronco mentioned or the IRC mb5. Also in the 140/80 size. The width and corrasponding increase in lug size/open space is a huge advantage in the slick, muddy conditions.

What you are saying about the handling is true for the street and in certain racing conditions where there is at least some consistency to the traction. But as to off road you are off base :cry:. The rules for off road tires whether they are for a jeep, buggy, or bike are very different than for a street rig. If you see a lot of rocks then it is nice to have tires a little wider than recommended (within reason) to protect the rims.

The biggest difference is air pressure :cry:, off road air pressures should be so low that the on road handling of the bike is truly scary. And the opposite is also true, road pressures will get you into trouble really fast on the trail.

Since he was talking about an off road oriented tire, he will suffer a lot more handling quirks due to the knobbies than the width.

I went with the 110-100/18 Trackmaster when I just replaced the stock sh$t deathwings (I really hated those damn tires off road, scary as hell...made me VERY nervous) The stock rear is 120-90-18 but I couldn't find any that size so I went with the above size. It was the same width and very close to the overall diametre of the stocker. It did say however that the preferred rim size is a 2.50-18 for the new tire...the stock rim is a 2.15-18. I don't know what the recommended rim width is for the 140 but I'd bet it will "mushroom" a fair bit :cry:

width is for the 140 but I'd bet it will "mushroom" a fair bit :cry:

That would be a bet you would loose :cry:

Good thing I'm not a gambling man :cry:

Have been running 140 MT21 rear with no problem before switching to the much, much cheaper Mitas motocross tyres. I bet a 150 tyre will fit as easilly there. Not sure there are any though :cry: .

A 140/80 is approx 4mm taller that the stock 120/90, so overal diameter is not significant to worry.

I've run 140/80 Michelin Baja with excellent result off-road. After a fews hundred km, I could lean it as much as I want on pavement, the knobbies being shorter...

140 is great for floating on the soft, as I could compare with buddies riding the 120.

Before assuming, better try for yourself, always!

140's :cry:

Thats crazy talk man :cry: for me out in the desert the wider the better 140's float on top of sand better, takes rocks nicer, and overall handles dirt riding great. My terraflex just fits in the swingarm. i'm talking 1/4 in to spare on each side! and the rim loves me for the extra protection.And hillclimbs are almost to easy.. 140 its a good choice. :cry:

140 TeraFlex fits great. And is more traction than you will know what to do with. Sorry, that's another thread. 140 is fine.

All these guys running 140's? Man, no wonder we are always falling down :cry:, couldn't have anything to do with skill impaired now could it :cry:

here are some pics of the clearance of a 140 terra-flex i just installed last night. it's close bit it has at least 3/8" around it.

teraclearanceright.jpg

teraclearanceleft.jpg

teraclearancefront.jpg

it is so stiff i don't think sidewall flexing/poor handling will be an issue.

it fits, that good enough

here is a pic of the MT21 i pulled off notice how much smaller it was.

mt21top.jpg