Sign in to follow this  

Red or Green/Yellow?

Maybe I have been ridding red too long? Looking at 05's CRF250R or KX250F. Feedback needed. Taanks. :cry:

It all comes down to what kind of power you like. My buddies honda handles almost exactly like my rmz. But my powerband is a lot differnt. I suggest you ride em and pick the one you like the best.

That's strange you would say that Dirt. I rode a CRF/X, and I didn't think it felt anything like the RMZ. The seating position in relation to the steering stem felt really funky to me. Hard to explain, but it felt like where the back-bone of the frame got to the steering stem, was pushed up about two inches. Almost like a chopper, but still with the steep steering head angle. I thought it might just be me, but Sunruh (...from the blue team) rode an R, and he had a similar feeling.

It never did anything weird mind you. But, I feel at home on the YZF, and the RMZ/KXF. On the Honda... not so much. Not bad mouthing it... it's just different.

~Tex

RMZ-1v

since both the RBC and Limon are having valve problems, pick the one that suits you best. whether that means dealer support, discounts, contingencies.......

both of the limon's that i've ridden felt great and rode great. it had 3 short commings: after the awesome low end and great midrange the motor signs off big time in the upper rpms, the fear of the valves destroying the motor, getting parts to fix it. yep, motor, motor and motor.

the rest is pretty darn good. provided you don't look under the valve cover.

the 05 Red Beer Can (RBC-r) was a different bike all the way around. good low end, good mid, pretty good rev, smooth power that doesn't feel fast. feels VERY light especially at jumping, not top heavy like a blueberry bike, great ergos and a comphy seat that will probably turn worthless in 6 rides. HOWEVER, the steering was as vauge as it could be. it never felt planted, never gave me confidence to turn and tried to washed out in a corner that forced a stall and then a tip over crash. the RBC is a great bike up until you try to turn it in the woods and then it goes from a great bike to a loser. and it ALSO made me worry if the valves were gonna destroy the motor. fixing a motor is one thing, fixing the funky steering geometery of a frame is a different beast! so, motor, steering and jeeez what more do ya need wrong?

now, would you rather own a single overhead cam car motor or a dual overhead cam car motor from honda? i wonder why the honda indy car (and f1) motors aren't unicam?

04 RBC-x, ie red non-turning slug. no low end, no mid range and a very lackluster topend (even though the bike i rode had a white bros pipe and power now). it didn't move until you hit the throttle stop with the right wrist. same vauge steering that feels like the front end isn't touching the ground. sure it has nice ergos, but so does my lazy-boy sofa. the sofa doesn't ruin valves every 20 hours.

ride all 3 and come up with your own ideas!

People have told me the crf's have a even, not a fast, but smooth power . if that is what you want the crf is for you. I just bought a kx 250f today and compared to the crf, it is faster and i think more powerful. All the problems that the 04' kfx's had, have been modifed for 05, and none should occur. My suggestion is go green, all my friends that had rmzs have blown them up in the first couple weeks

hondas always seem to run strong, and are the most reliable no doubt.. it is all up to you and what you want

good luck man :cry:

hondas always seem to run strong, and are the most reliable no doubt.

most reliable?

i guess you've not been around the crf450 and crf250 camp much have you?

every crf450 owner i know doesn't have the stock valves in it and the crf250 owners are getting that way too.

xr line yes, crf line, NO WAY!

reliable as in a '98wr400f that had 24,600 miles on it and NEVER had any engine cover openend on it. just oil changes and fuel. he finally traded it in this spring on a '04wr250f.

oh, btw, 05 part numbers identical to 04 means you're wrong on the all problems being taken care of.

Actually Sunruh... the RMZ/KXF motor has been revised. They made subtle changes to the valve timing and intake velocity. These changes were made to offer slightly better odds that when the intake valve head breaks off, it can be spit directly out the exhaust port rather than bouncing it around in the cylinder. The odds are now exactly 21,420 to 1... which means one lucky RMZ/KXF owner just might win the valve lotto. :cry:

I know, I know.... But I'm entitled... I'm on my 2nd valve in two months, and my bike is nothing but a frame with wheels right now.

~Tex

RMZ-1v

I know, I know.... But I'm entitled... I'm on my 2nd valve in two months, and my bike is nothing but a frame with wheels right now.

~Tex

RMZ-1v

as we just found out 4 hours ago, *BOTH* of your intakes where shot. so that's really your 3rd valve to go bad. :cry: your exhausts looked good, but for how long?

for all those following along, texlabo had his cases split to clean the 2 oil screens. gotta say, this is one of the stupidist designs of all time. while not plugged, they did have quite a bit of junk in them. service manual calls for this to be done ever 6 hours. :cry:

too bad that yz250f head didn't mate up with your cylinder. that would have been really really neat.

I've only ridden a kxf a few times but when I did I loved it. I couldn't get over how low the center of gravity felt. It seemed like I just had to think turn and the bike would drop over very quickly and effortlessly compared to my yz250f. The motor was perfect for me as a beginner because it has a super strong pull of idle and a good mid range. I bet the lack of top end could easily be fixed with an aftermarket pipe too. The kxf is also the most 125-like I thought. The bike just felt really compact and easy to throw around to me. It fit me perfectly and I'm 5'9. The magazies and Honda-ites can make it really hard to pick anything else. If I was getting a new bike, I would have to ride them all off and on for a day.

Even though I bag on it because of the valve trouble, when the bike is running it's just awesome. It's one of those bikes you instantly feel at home on, and it just becomes an extension of you, and seems to do whatever you think it should.

If not for the valve problems, and poor placement of those oil filter screens inside the cases, this bike would be about perfect. I may have the solution for the valves very soon, but I don't know what to do about those screens.

It's a great bike, but it has a few problems. But, so do the red ones. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the YZF. Pretty darn close in performance, but with the problems pretty well worked out.

~TexLabo

RMZ-2v

As soon as I know it works, believe me, I'll shout it from the rooftops. :cry:

I should get the parts sometime next week (...coming in from a couple different places). I hope to have it back together for a ride next weekend.

Lets keep our fingers crossed...

~Tex

RMZ-2v

I'm with ya tex best of luck. Do you think it's enough to split those cases once every 8 months or so as long as you keep your oil clean?

Boy, I don't know. I just had my cases split today and my bike is a year old. My screens had a lot of junk in em. Not necessarily enough to stop oil flow, but they were pretty bad. I think I'm going to check mine every so often and just play it by ear. You can feel the one screen with your finger if you reach into the hole in the case behind your flywheel. The other one is buried, but I'm going to use that one as my yardstick. What a silly design.

T-2v

I think this screen thing may be way off base. Many bikes have screens, you probably never knew about them so it didn't bother you to not clean them. They are not a filter, much too big of holes for that and you got an oil filter to keep the oil clean. I bet there is even a bypass so the oil doesn't have to flow thru the screen at all.

This screen seems to be like the nets hanging off the edges of an aircraft carrier, its just there to catch something big if a problem happens, otherwise it is useless. Say your mechanic dropped a bolt in your bottom end and thought he dropped it on the floor, so he just grabbed a new one. Then when it breaks some stuff and you hear the loud noises, you shut it off. Well the screen kept the lower end problem from causing a top end problem as well. Like a system seperation requirements on an airplane, when one thing goes, it shouldn't take everything out.

I don't think you are supposed to clean it. Does the manual say to clean it? Can you dump in oil to flow the other direction and have the junk flow to the drain hole. Maybe over fill it, then let it flow out the drain plug hole. You could capture that oil in a clean container and reuse it for the flushing type process. If you must clean it, maybe there is a better way.

lolley,

sorry man there is NO way to clean the screens without splitting the cases. major league PITA!

texlabo's screens had a lot of the gray sealant they use to bond the case halves together in them. along with some steel shavings and stuff. also of note was the SECOND oil drain plug and the size of that cavity. WHOA! is it big and probably holds close to 0.3L of oil, yet is only drained from the 2nd oil drain plug.

with a yz250f head in my right hand and texlabo's rm-z head in my left, it is EASY to see why the valves can fail so easy on the limon. the limon exhaust valves are bigger than ANY of the blue's. and the intakes are just plain HUGE on the limon! coupled with poor oiling (no oiling groove), inadaquate springs and (supposedly) inferior Ti, there is all the reason to point at the valve problems.

i have ridden both bikes and i think team green has got it all the way.the kxf has the most bottom and mid and they run around around the same on top..i have a kxf and i haven't had any problems out of it what so ever and my buddy has a crf and he has already blowed it up..choose green and u will come out better in the end..

i agree. i just got my kx 250f two days ago and i am hooked. The bike had awesome low and mid range power, it is true it is lacking slighly in the top end, but ill fix that with some exhaust. The kaw handles awesome, and is really easy to adjust to. Go green man :cry: