Sign in to follow this  

Head bearing availability

Are head bearings something a dealer will have in stock usually? I am tearing mine down tomorrow and am anticipating they are in bad shape...and am hoping to go riding Sunday.

Probably best to replace them if they look even a little worn/pitted? The bars barely turn now and feel realy notchy/BAD.

So that's what happen to my engine :cry:, my head bearings failed and took out the muffler valves with it :cry: :cry: :cry::lol:

There is a dealer in oregon that at one time had three on their shelf, then bronco and I hit the store :cry:

Call around you might just get lucky.

Uhh...clarification, sorry.

Steering stem(?) bearings, not "head" bearings... Im trying to remeber the right terminoligy, it just aint sticking.

Gregg,

If you can't find any and you really want to ride, you should pull the front end apart and clean them, inspect and regrease. You may be able to get them to work well enough for another ride.

Don't mind my smarta$$ remarks, it just struck my humorous after my latest ordeal.

you can also check a bearing shop, such as motion industries, they carry tons of bearings, usually much cheaper than the dealer but often the exact same part. there will be a part number stamped on the bearing race. tell them that number and they can look it up.

I've checked a dozen bearing houses in the last month,, no dice on the one needed for the DRZ.. You can get one the same spec as far as the bearings,, but it will not have the built in seal that is on the OEM one.. ID, OD and width are easy... the seal is a no go.

I found the same problems as Bronco did.

There is nothing out there. I even searched all over online. Nothin. Your stuck buying them damn things at pricey prices. :cry: