Sign in to follow this  

What is best way to tighten spokes on my 03 crf450

i bought the tool, now i need to tighten my 03 crf450 spokes, what is the best way to do it. and is this a universal method for front/rear on all mx bikes

thanks

john

also i bought the 10 40 wt honda moly and non moly oil for the engine and transmission change, did i do the right thing

Start at the rim lock or nipple (so ya know where ya left off) and tighten every third one. This should take ya about 3 complete wheel revolutions before they all nice and snug.

Incidently, that nipple thing works well on the wife/girlfriend if you drink too much! :cry:

Bama,

No real trick to it. Just be careful you turning the wrench in the right direction. Sounds silly, but sometimes it's easy to get turned around(pun intended)

Good job on the oil. The big 450 oil trick is to fill the tranny side by volume (600cc), not by the overflow hole. On the motor side, you can use the sight glass.

Start at the rim lock or nipple (so ya know where ya left off) and tighten every third one. This should take ya about 3 complete wheel revolutions before they all nice and snug.

also, if you find a really loose one, don't just tighten it all at once, give it a quarter turn or so and move on, repeat the entire process until there are no loose spokes left.

drtbkjoe,

why is this

"trick is to fill the tranny side by volume (600cc), not by the overflow hole.??

Kirk

The overflow hole can and does give you a false reading. Better to go by volume, then you know you have the right amount. Just get graduated oil filler funnel from checkers etc. and premeasure it.

Good call on the tranny oil. I noticed the same thing. The manual says 600ml, but it will drain about 200 out if you let it. Another trick to doing this is that your quart of oil has 946ml if you take away 600, the measureing mark on the side of the oil should read about 350 when you are done filling.

Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Tighten every third one and work your way around.

When you're done, I bang each spoke with a small crescent. when hit the spoke should give off a high pitched resonating sound. That;s when you know it's tight.

If it doesn't ring or doesn't resonate then you know it's not tight. When you hit an untightened spoke it will be more like a "thud" with no resonance. Hope that helps.