Sign in to follow this  

Side-Access Airbox for a CRF450?

Has anyone figured out how to modify their airbox so the filter can be changed without unbolting the seat?

If KTM can do it on their lightweight 125SX and still keep it competitively light, I expect this can be done on a 450.

Anyone?

+sean

Ok, I wanted to do the same thing, but lets be honest. What's easier unbolting the seat or doing all that work to your airbox that the thread showed. Then you go through some major water, the darn back gets tore off and you get water everywhere. I am not trying to be negative about it, but Maybe we should look into building an actual box and not modifying one. I am quite shocked not to have seen one yet. The stock one is such an inconvenience.

90% of the time I fit the filter the normal way by removing the seat, and I also run the PC Racing airbox seal so there is no messy rim grease to smear on the frame rails.

About once a month (or after riding in the sand) I spend about 15 minutes to remove the subframe so I can take the airbox out and wash it out thoroughly. I have found it is sometimes difficult to get the box totally clean inside, so I ended up drilling out the rivets that hold the airbox together and slicing along the joint so I have a 2 piece airbox.

When I have the box out for cleaning I fit the filter to it before it goes back on the bike, install the rear 1/2 of the box and run a cable-tie around the box where the mudflap screws on. Then the subframe and plastic is fitted (muffler stays on the bike).

Somebody mentioned removing the rear 1/2 to change filters, but you have to seriously twist it and it will prolly break - it is better to remove the subframe if you want to take the rear 1/2 of the box off.

Maybe the 450X airbox will fit the 450R, the 250X has a side access so you would think the 450X would too.

WooHoo! Thanks guys, for the links and the info. These have definitely given me some ideas. I searched plus the above links, I'm going now.

+sean