Baja Designs turn signal issues at low RPM's...

I have a 2002 WR 426 with the Baja Designs lighting kit. The problem is the turn signals stop blinking at low RPM's. (For example when I'm stopped at a red light) They start again when I accelerate and the motors' RPM's increase. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions other than to keep the rev's up? Thanks...

Did they do the stator rewind of "float the ground"? I dont know if the lighting coil in stock for will generate enough juice. I know when I just added a stop lamp of the incandesent type, the headlamp would go dim everytime I stepped on the brake at idle. SO I used an LED bulb. Now you could use LED bulbs, but the flasher would have to be solis state and set up for the lower amp LED's.

I have the same problem with my 400. Are you using a battery or a capacitor in your system? Using the BD kit I would expect that you are using thier headlight??? My stator does not put out enough power to run both the stock 55 watt headlight and signal at idle. I am using a capacitor but am going to try a battery. The battery should give the power to run the signals at idle and charge when revs are up.

Again with these Baja Designs problems!

I hope your headlight is not running on DC. This would be the main cause of your problem (even with a wimpy 35/35 Watt bulb).

Anyone that says that they are happy with a Baja Designs kit hasn't run their bike with it installed for any length of time or just doesn't understand.

To help with your problem buy an "electronic" flasher relay.

Just a standard 2 prong electronic flasher relay from your local autoparts store. (only a few dollars)

It will not fix your problem but it will help.

Electronic flashers maintain a constant flash even with variations in voltage.

Let us know how it goes okay?

I bought the bike second hand from a member here, I didn't do the wiring myself (thank god!). I'm not sure if he did the stator rewind or it is still stock, I know it uses a battery and not the capacitor. I will give BD a call and see what they recommend--maybe the battery is bad.

Anyone that says that they are happy with a Baja Designs kit hasn't run their bike with it installed for any length of time or just doesn't understand.

Are you kidding me? I've had the kit installed since day one and have ridden for many hours and never had this problem. I understand and my bike has been running very well with no "dimming" problems. I have a newer kit so maybe that's the difference. I've had the ground "floated" and am running the 35watt light that came with the kit.

I had the same problem with mine. My headlight is wired DC (to the best of my limited electrical knowledge).

Here is what i do to remedy the problem, not a true fix.

Always hook it up to the battery tender.

My kit came with a 70watt headlight, that is now out with the stocker in. (I believe it's 55 watts)

I do not trail ride with the headlight on in the daytime, that helps the battery.

And I don't try to start the bike with the e-start ever. It will not fire up cold with the e-start anyway and it's a piece of cake to kick.

Keep us posted on any success stories. Good luck.

Man, I have to disagree with the folks saying the bike won't start with the e-start and what not. I havent ridden my bike in 2 weeks and just last night I went out and used the e-start. Obviously it didnt start-up for push but had easily enough battery to start it up. I think the guys with the battery issues have already killed their batteries to the point they won't recharge.

Get your jetting right and don't abuse your battery and you should be good.

You can disagree if you wish, but I have pushed that button many times with only sparing results.

The dealer couldn't even get it going. When I have some time this winter I'm going to put my $22 (number 72 I believe)starter jet in. We will see if that helps.

I think the important factor is whether the purchaser is buying the latest and greatest Baja Designs kit which has the headlight hooked up differently than even a kit from a year ago.

A previous poster had a good idea, call them.

NEW AND IMPROVED BAJA DESIGNS KIT ?

Well a 35 Watt headlight bulb is not acceptable.

If Baja's new kit still comes with a 35 watt headlight bulb then it is not "new and improved"

Logically, doesn't that indicate to you that there is still a problem?

Guys stop buying these kits form Baja Designs!

The problem starts with running your headlight on DC power.

Do not change your headlight or taillight from it's AC power supply and keep the 55/55 watt bulb in the headlight.

Do the research and wire your bikes yourselves. It's really not that hard. K&S parts

This reply is not to offend anyone with the Baja kit but to help anyone that is currently DS'ing their bike.

NEW AND IMPROVED BAJA DESIGNS KIT ?

Well a 35 Watt headlight bulb is not acceptable.

If Baja's new kit still comes with a 35 watt headlight bulb then it is not "new and improved"

Logically, doesn't that indicate to you that there is still a problem?

Guys stop buying these kits form Baja Designs!

The problem starts with running your headlight on DC power.

Do not change your headlight or taillight from it's AC power supply and keep the 55/55 watt bulb in the headlight.

Do the research and wire your bikes yourselves. It's really not that hard. K&S parts

This reply is not to offend anyone with the Baja kit but to help anyone that is currently DS'ing their bike.

Just a quick news flash before the slandering gets too bad. A 65 watt bulb works fine in my bike and I know of at least one other TT'er who will say the same. I'd be willing to snap some pic's if you'd like ?

The WR does not generate enough power at idle to have all the accessories working at the same time (For example you are stoped at a red light with the foot on the rear break, light on up front, turn signal on and horning to say hello to a friend).

To have all the accessories working you have to have a modified stator or a nice working battery. I have to say I find that the one that comes with the baja design kit is not really impressive but I've also learnt from this forum that you can replace that battery with others available on the market...

This is not "really" a Baja design problem... if you install the same exact kit on a BRP, you will see that this bike does generate all the power required and everything works fine.

Get a better battery and I bet it's gonna be alright.