Sign in to follow this  

AMA: WHY! WHY! WHY!

I just saw the news: Reno 10/2 "South Boston 10/9" and Del Mar 10/17

This is crazy!!!! I just spent a fortune to go to Nashville and the canceled round in So. Boston! Who can really afford to do this!! I'm lucky because I live on the west coast, but imagine the guys from back east! This is just not the right choice for the AMA. Obviously they need to run the Superbike races, but lets skip this Supermoto in So. Boston!

I am calling on Monday to voice my opinion! I hope others will do the same. I want them to know this is not right!

Our Team is in 5th place in the points right now. We have won an amazing $400.00 in contingency and purse. We just can't afford this type of stupid schedule with no chance of making any money! Even if we came in 1st and 2nd we would barely break even!

And really it not just money! Its just about it being a bad idea!

:cry:

"but imagine the guys from back east!"

lets see...drive about 2200 miles to Reno...then 2400 plus miles back to Va....then almost 2800 plus miles back to sanDiego...then 2400 miles back to Michigan. Hope the gas card is paid up! Oh yeh, then head back to Vegas a few weeks later. So much for spending time on the west coast.

Hope nothing breaks cause it will be hard enough finding time to change oil and tires. And I will be driving solo...should be fun. Tdub

what are you guys thinking!!!! you think they give a RATS ass if any little guys show up?? FACTORY GUYS SELL AIR TIME AND MERCHINDISE NOT US!! and they got no problem FLYING around from coast to coast and jumping on a new factory prepared ride in each race... if they had the same 20 riders at every race that would be fine with THEM. BIG NAMES NO HASSELS.. :cry:

Maybe they should do an East Coast/West Coast thing like the outdoor. What are they thinking putting 3 races back to back 2500 miles apart!!!????

They arn't. Well actually, they're probably thinking the pro, or "money", teams can do it. That's all they seem to be considering. Thought I'd like to hear Troy Lee's thoughts on spending all that travel time and money. One would hope he's not thrilled about it either.

All I have to say is I will be so happy when Supercross season starts!

After the attendance at Nashville last race I think the whole cookie is about to crumble and the AMA is trying to hold it together by a thread, did you forget the attendance at South Boston last year after the rain, it was probably 60 people. The stands were filling up the day before it rained. They need to have the draw from VIR or there will be no race.

Remember South Boston is the only track to have a repeat race. The sport is at a do or die stage, you can forget the reschedule.

It's like a wise Football Coach from Columbus used to say "Your either getting better or your getting worse" We will see what happens but my opinion is the next month is critical as to the future of the sport.

After the attendance at last race I think the whole cookie is about to crumble.

Besides Vegas last year was there more than 2k people at any of the events last year?

Why did OLN not pan the stands during the presentation last year?

How come the stands are bare at these events? :cry:

The racing and the racers are awesome but the promotion sucks.

i can't say much about the AMA (except i agree the schedule sounds lame), but can i just say the OLN coverage both sucks and blows at the same time -- just when i thought nothing could be worse than greg white asking jake zemke what kind of car he has, who friggin cares! that guy is the world's worst interviewer! i keep expecting him to say "soooo, do you like stuff? i like stuff and junk."

on OLN you can't follow the race since they spend half the time yacking on about this or that. then when they have time they check in on that thing...what's it called....oh yeah the friggin the race! besides it seems the races air like weeks or months after the race which is lame-o.

i dunno, i love supermoto bikes, but the races can get boring. i guess i like the road portion more, and i'd rather see it on larger tracks. i've never been a fan of short track motox racing.

my idea of "UrbanCross" is a bunch of motards jumping intersections in san francisco, not some crappy metal ramps - now that i would watch!

anyway, at least someone is airing it, and at least someone is hosting it...for now.

cheers

droo

Droo,

See how you like this . Right click and save 1.wmv. Big download. It is old, but the action is awesome. VDB! :cry:

Sorry the schedule sucks for you guys. For me as a spectator, SM at South Boston is a major part of why I will attend the combined VIR AMA Superbike weekend. The AMA coulda left it as scheduled, then it would have been rained out with no TV coverage like last year. I spent the whole weekend standing around waiting for the races (any races) to happen. Is the Championship winner take all? Or one race champion like last year? I am sure quite a few teams will have to choose to skip one of the next three races.

Maybe it will all even out? :cry:

Mike

I personally like the east coast west coast idea, at least until the sport is more mature. ie. Larger fan base, and sponsorship dollars.

In my opinion Supermoto is the most exiting motorcycle racing.. last year in Dallas was like 1000poeople, it sucked The previous year i saw the European Round in Athens Greece and was like 7.000people and wasnt the best weather...

Oh and races back to back from one cost to the other sucks.. &%$#@! they think? Only the GP guys do country to country but there :excuseme:they play with $$$$$$.

Basically, like the press release states... They don't want to cancel the roadraces because that would determine the championships in several classes. This is the only weekend that VIR had available. Supermoto would not run by itself, the reason we race at South Boston at night is so the VIR fans can drive 30 miles and see the racing Saturday night. Supermoto has to run the same weekend as roadracing and that's the only weekend roadracing can run.

We need a big semi to take all the bikes and tools coast to coast.

Or, everyone could get one of these new Mercedes bike haulers and race cross country Cannonball Run style. :cry:

243644-Crossoverktm.jpg

Now that's cool!

Just for grins and giggles, figured out the milage for the next 4 rounds from home and back...13,700 Miles!

Looked back at some old notes...

The last year('97)my daughter was an amateur, we put on about 58,000 miles racing.

In '98 when she turned pro, we logged just over 42,000 miles.

I too, have just read the AMA press release in disbelief. As has already been mentioned there will be a rider backlash, not through spite, but simply it is not financially possible.

I understand that it is desirable to complete the round at South Boston, but I cant see how wedging it between RENO and Del Mar is the best outcome for anyone.

I am a little surprised by the poor crowds that the rounds attract, the sport has all the right ingredients. Its spectacualr to watch, features world class riders, access to the riders, and great viewing.

I was shocked by the format for Nashville. Stretching the event over a 12hr period. The spectators were left in the stand waiting for long periods between events, and then there was that 6pm break, where the riders went back to their motel rooms/slept in the vans or went out for tea.

The pits were like a ghost town. Spectators couldn't meet their "heros" and sponsors didn't get value.

I hope the promotion of the rounds improves for the remaining 4 rounds, get the crowd in, get the sponsors involved and the sport will explode!

I agree, our team, CHM just had our truck come back to Sacramento,thinking (dumb on our part) that the AMA wouldn't possibly reschedule in south boston, the weather is so unstable this time of year and would put a big strain on riders from both coasts. Why couldn't they just make del-mar a double header like CO. It would be so much simpler, I understand that South Boston speedway paid big$$ to hold the race there and they do not want to loose there a**. I can only imagine going back east only to find a tornado, or Hurricane. :cry:

Hey Pipes,

Yes I feel for the Team, I'm helping out Mark Willis, one of the CHM riders. Have to start looking at flights back to Richmond again!

Cheers,

Batts

I just saw the news: Reno 10/2 "South Boston 10/9" and Del Mar 10/17

This is crazy!!!! I just spent a fortune to go to Nashville and the canceled round in So. Boston! Who can really afford to do this!! I'm lucky because I live on the west coast, but imagine the guys from back east! This is just not the right choice for the AMA. Obviously they need to run the Superbike races, but lets skip this Supermoto in So. Boston!

I am calling on Monday to voice my opinion! I hope others will do the same. I want them to know this is not right!

Our Team is in 5th place in the points right now. We have won an amazing $400.00 in contingency and purse. We just can't afford this type of stupid schedule with no chance of making any money! Even if we came in 1st and 2nd we would barely break even!

And really it not just money! Its just about it being a bad idea!

Gary,

The promoter is the person to say as to when the event is held/re-scheduled. AMA Pro Racing is only contracted to sanction and operate the race. I'd think it's safe to say that no one involved in your side of things is happy about the date (including I'd bet, the AMA).

The promoter is also responsible for the purse -- the way I understand it, the promoter decides on the purse, turns over the funds to the AMA (Not AMA Pro Racing), and the funds are disbursed through the AMA checking account.