Sign in to follow this  

Electrical Problem !

I'm having a problem with my STOCK 04 YZ250F. It all started when the bike just up and quit running after about 10 minutes of riding. Then it wouldn't start, I let it sit for 20mins and put a new plug in. It started, but the same problem happened after about 10 minutes.

Now it cold starts fine (with choke) and idles, but when I ease the throttle it just dies. Then it won't start. After sitting for about 20 minutes, it will start and idle, but the same thing happens.

I posted for some help (see "runs...backfires...quits") and I got some good tips, which lead me to checking out the electrical system.

Turns out, I have an open circuit on Charging Coil 1. Looks like I need to replace the Stator! Has anyone ever done this? I don't have the special tools (rotor holding tool, flywheel puller). I'm concerned about how this problem actually occurred...the manual says to inspect the crankshaft runout and bearing! This sounds link an expensive problem, if that's the case!

Any advice?!?!?!?

:cry:

well as luck would have it I just did this on mine.

The "flywheel puller" is around $15 in most bike shops (or less). And what you need to replace is the baseplate. Have the shop look under "generator".

You also need to keep the flywheel from spinning to get it's nut off. If the clutch is good just toss it in gear and throw a wrench in the rear sprocket so it locks up.

30 minutes tops. An hour if you are doing it by braille.

Thanks YZ250F_Rider, that's encouraging! How much did the dealer get you for the baseplate? Does anyone make these on the aftermarket? :cry:

I'm still not sure how the bike can idle without spark?!?!? :cry:

Yeah, the part is $222 at Electrex, but like you said, I have no choice! I'm tempted to get their CDI as well...but it's $260! I would get one if I knew for sure I would feel the difference...anyone try one????? :cry: