Sign in to follow this  

New guy looking at a drz400

Greetings. I'm new to the forum and new to the sport, crossing over from the sport quad world. I found a 2002 drz400e with Renthal bars, FMF pipe, jetted for $3700. For $5000, they will throw in a 2003 drz125l that I thought my girlfriend could ride. Does this sound like a good deal?

If you could do it again, would any of you drz400 riders get a different bike?

Thanks. I look forward to getting involved in the post.

Only yu can decide if it is a good deal or not,,,,as far as the 400 goes,just got back from 1 hell of a ride today,,,ditched work and I can tell ya that it climbs like a billy goat handles like a sports car and runs like a bat out of hell, besides that yu get reliability to boot. If thats what your looking for it is what ya get. if not they have honda's that suck valves regularly :cry: And by the way,,,,welcome to the forum,,, :cry:

Welcome to the most kick ass forum on the 'net.

I've had every kind of bike, street, dirt, 4 stroke, 2 stroke, been riding 30 yrs, and for a "do it all" motorbike there is none better than the DRZ 400.

I've heard it referred to elsewhere on this site as a "Swiss Army Bike"...and that about sums it up. Enjoy :cry:

Welcome to the most kick ass forum on the 'net.

I've had every kind of bike, street, dirt, 4 stroke, 2 stroke, been riding 30 yrs, and for a "do it all" motorbike there is none better than the DRZ 400.

I've heard it referred to elsewhere on this site as a "Swiss Army Bike"...and that about sums it up. Enjoy :cry:

Yeah, i second exactly what railroader said, except I've only been riding for 29 years :cry: :cry:. The bike is awesome. :cry:

My nephew just got a brand new drz110 for like 1600 out the door . He's a B rider on an RM 250 and 125 to boot. He just had to have a pit bike cause the rest of the world is getting pit bikes! KIDS? :excuseme:BTW its a powerful little bike for a 3 speed auto,pretty impressive!

Dont know about 3700 for the bike, depends what it has been through and how well it was maintained? As far as getting a DRZ you absolutely cant go wrong. I tried them all and there isnt another bike I would rather have. Yes I have spent money on it to get it where I want it but I would have to do that with any bike.

The DRZ125 is a great bike depending on her size. My 11 year old Son rides one, he is tall but not heavy. My wife is 5'9" and we sold her 125ttr to get a crf230, she is much happier with that.

Marshalls! I'm working on 6 of them as we speak :cry:

Greetings. I'm new to the forum and new to the sport, crossing over from the sport quad world. I found a 2002 drz400e with Renthal bars, FMF pipe, jetted for $3700. For $5000, they will throw in a 2003 drz125l that I thought my girlfriend could ride. Does this sound like a good deal?

If you could do it again, would any of you drz400 riders get a different bike?

Thanks. I look forward to getting involved in the post.

I'm new here too - just registered today. I have owned several BMW GS's, but it seemed to me that going on even rough roads was a heck of a lot of effort. Also I was worried about dropping a bike where you have to pay $2,000 to replace the gas tank. The other parts are about as expensive.

So after a bit of thinking and also thinking back to having owned a KLR, I decided to buy a DR-Z400S - year 2000. Well, I got that bike yesterday and haven't been off it yet. It's just a plain hoot to ride. Today was my first time off pavement on a primitive road. Hardly a tech challenge, but it would have been on my 1150GS.

I'm perfectly happy and satisfied with my purchase. I can't recommend this bike enough based on my 300 miles of riding it, but also a hell of a long time riding one thing or another from road racers to trials bikes. There is a bit of compromise on speed when on the freeway, but it's not like you're on a 4 stroke 125 or something. Also the bike is comparatively heavy on the dirt contrasted with a pure dirt bike, but that's not an issue with me because I'm not a competitive MX'er. A 100 mile sit isn't too bad if you raise up off the seat from time to time.

That price seems in line with what I saw when I was shopping. It, of course, depends on condition. I'm too new to have any regrets, but I doubt they'll show up. I'd surely do it again.

The only people you will usually hear complain about the DRZ are people that don't have one. Almost everyone who has one, including me, loves them. You should be able to get a brand new 03 for around $5000, maybe even an 04. It could be even less. A dealer here has had an 03 kicker for at least a year. I think it would have a few improvments over the older bike.

I purchased a used 01' DRZ 400S as my first 4 stroke. It was a nice bike and very reliable. For my riding preference, it was not that great on the technical trails in the woods. Primarily because I had an S model with the 01' super soft suspension and it was quite heavy. As for the power, it was nice and smooth but would not give me a grin from ear to ear. I sold my DRZ with a pro circuit pipe, renthal bars, and jet kit for $2700 a year ago. I then made a huge mistake and bought a Cannondale, and finally ended up with my dream bike, a street legal KTM 520. The DRZ is nice but I am a huge KTM fan and would steer you in that direction.

Thanks for all of the replies so far. It's nice to hear some feedback from some people that actually have experience with this bike instead of someone who's trying to sell one.

I just spent Saturday in the desert riding trails and even a few jumps. I was riding an XR250 that I borrowed and was also able to ride my friends' yz250 and yz450f. I would have loved to "test drive" the DRZ400 in that varying terrain to get an idea of how it rates. I'm looking for a bike that can run trails, dunes, and an ocasional MX track for fun. How do you folks feel about the suspension on the DRZ400? Is there a way to make it a hair stiffer? Also, has the weight of the bike been a big issue for anyone? Has anyone had theirs in the sand?

I'm also looking at a 2000 YZF426, but so far, I'm really leaning toward the DRZ. Can anyone tell me a thing or two about that "other" bike? I know it an MX style thumper, but could it handle trails and dunes well?

Again, thanks...you guys are awesome. BTW, jsuhr, there's a session player here in Utah that plays one of your axes I believe. Very nice! I might have to step up from my G&L one of these days. :cry:

Cheers!

Cool! Bikes and Guitars, what else is there!

The suspension can be great as long as you dial it in for your weight, just like any other bike, I had mine done by ESP for my weight, rides great, I couldnt ask for better, I tried to talk my friend into taking his KTM there but he likes it harsh :cry: No... weight isnt an issue but I dont take mine to an MX track. If your going to ride trails and desert the DRZE is great, if you are going to do MX, get a second bike. Careful when people talk about an S compared to an E, they are worlds aparts in performance, they dont have to be but out of the box they are.

I've owned my DRZ for over four years now, owned since brand new. I ride it at least once a week, all year long, been all over the place with it over all kinds of terrain. It is a very good and fun machine. I hear a lot about the DRZ not being a very "competitive machine". That's OK, I don't race. the guys I ride with have WR, EXC MXC KX DRZ AND THE XR. None of them ever just walk off and leave me (except the KX500, it dissapears over the horizon pretty darn quick :cry:)

I also have (had) new bike fever and looked at everything under the sun, I have access to late model machines and have ridden them all, not just around the parking lot. IMO, the DRZ is tied with the XR as the best trail bike out there (boy will I take heat for that :lol::cry::lol:)

I hear a lot about weight, the DRZ does seem to carry its weight higher than most. Not uncomfortable though. They all weigh too much if you have to pick it up from the side of a hill. My solution? Don't fall down :cry:

I have the smallest bike in our group except the other DRZ and the XR. They all accelerate a little quicker than my 400 (not the XR), but the next smallest bike is a 450. None of them can really jump out way ahead of me in flat out runs (we've done it several times, one big drag race) I'm sorry, the KX500 does a pretty good job of jumping out pretty quick :cry: But, once the bikes are at full speed, not much difference between any of them.

In short, after looking at Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and KTM, I'm just going to buy a few items for my bike and pocket the rest of the cash.

Hope that helps and welcome :cry:

Ive taken my kciker to the dunes quite a few times. It is a blast in the sand! I also take it trail riding and MX tracks. For trail riding it is awsome, for the track it is very fun and handles itself fine. I am not going to be clearing the huge tables and doubles no matter what I am riding so this does me fine. Get the suspension dialed and it is even funner on the track.

I saw a guy at Glen Helen a few months ago just tearing it up around the national track. A plated S model too...

From what I have read here 2002 and up have much better suspension on them, this is important if your looking at pre-owned bikes.