Sign in to follow this  

won't start... please help

Last weekend I went to Moab, bike ran great all weekend. Put it in the truck and drove back to colorado. Put it in the garage. Today I went out to start it up, and smelled gas. I investigated a little, and found in fact that there was raw gas in the header. I took the following actions:

- removed header, drained out gas

- removed carb, cleaned it, inspected jets, checked float

operation, everything seemed to be in order

- Removed spark plug, it was a little fouled, but sparked

fine. I cleaned and reinstalled it.

- Tried to start bike after reassembly, no luck.

- removed carb again, sprayed starter fluid into engine while cranking, engine caught and ran -- good spark

- cleaned carb again, reinspected it

The bike still will not start, and doesn't even catch at all. Even with starter fluid, bike doesn't want to catch. Acts like it is flooded, but I can't figure out why. It is definitely getting a spark, and seems to be getting gas, because the float bowl fills up whenever I put the tank on. I need to go riding tomorrow, can anyone help me think of things that could be wrong? Thanks!

If the fuel made it into your header, you have to figure that the entire cylinder filled with fuel, and that it also made it's way past the rings into the crankcase. I would drain the oil asap before you blow that thing up! :cry:

Never really thought about this. How do you get fuel out of a dry sump engine? Is there a drain bolt somewhere?

I forgot to write that, but I did drain the oil. It had a little gas in it, but not much. Today's been bike fixing day, so oil was the first thing I changed.

yes,i bet its way full of gas.put a rag over the plug hole so gas doesnt shoot every where.

make sure the spark plug wire is way out of the way.you dont want any fires.

one more thing,once you crank it to clear it out put a fresh dry plug in and hold the throttle wide open while you crank to start it.

Just got done cranking it. I'll have to wait til tomorrow to fetch a new plug. What do you think caused it? Was it a carb float switch that failed to turn off? Is there a better way to check it than what I did, which was to take the bowl off, hook up gas, and make sure that it shuts off the flow with the gas tank selector switch in 'pri'? Maybe just 9 hours of bouncing around in the bed of a truck?

Thanks!

I really don't think so. Anything is possible, but I can't think of a reason that it would have been.

Well, got it started with the old plug. I'm going to get a new one in the morning and then go try out those new forks! There must have been some gas that was in the cylinder. I'm going to change the oil one more time tonight, just to be sure I don't detonate. When I changed it this morning it was a little thin looking, but couldn't have had that much gas in it. Anyway, thanks for the help, and Burned, I owe you a beer! You are the man.

Sounds as if you took all of the proper steps! remember that once flooded in that mannor the high fume content can play a role as well! i like to use compressed air and really get her vapor free! Seems kinda strange that you have spark but no fire but the plug may be playing tricks. new is good in this case for sure! If you still can't get it to run after all of this i would double check the carb and ensure all parts are in place .A good ol tap from a screw driver hanlde usually gets my carb in motion and if that don't work I get a hammer :cry:

sometimes half fouled plugs will spark out side the combustion chamber but not under compression.ive seen people chase that one for hours. :cry:

I don't know it this is the cause or not... I found a small tear in the fuel hose going from the tank to the port on the carb that fills the float bowl. With this tear, I figure it might have let the tank slow leak into the engine all week. I guess I did lay 'er down in the gravel right before loading it up in the truck... may have done it there and not noticed. Anyway, I think she'll be good to go tomorrow. Thanks again.