Sign in to follow this  

Motorcycle whip flags?

The thought of putting a whip flag on a motorcycle is absolutely ridiculous! Having said that, it has come to my attention that whip flags are now required on motorcycles at my favorite sand dunes. I have a couple of questions, though.

1. Where do you purchase whip flags for motorcycles and

2. How in the HE** do you mount one on a dirtbike?? :cry::cry:

The thought of putting a whip flag on a motorcycle is absolutely ridiculous!

Ridiculous until a quad lands on your head :cry:

yeah!!! that would be great, jumping a razorback and having that thing whip you in the neck.... no thanks. just have someone watch the ridge while your playing.

I just zip tie it to my subframe.

3.jpg

I have a connector that goes on my swing arm but I broke two flags. The 426 exhaust breaks them in half. Just as long as you have a flag mounted they leave you alone. Come down to Salt Lake and I will buy you a flag or you can get one here ---> web page :cry:

Thanks for the photo. That gives me a better idea of what I'll be needing to so. I'm wondering if strapping it to the subframe will work on a WR since the coolant overflow bottle is right there? :cry:

I wouldn't want a quad to land on me or anything.. :cry:

If you ride very hard the swingarm mounting method will break the whip eventualy. I started zip-tying my whip to the back of my chest protector.

:cry:

There are brakets designed for the flags to hook onto your swingarm. You can also just zip tie it your subframe.

Those brackets suck, on my bike the flag hit the exhaust until it broke and then it got caught in the wheel, that was a mess. I remember a long time ago seeing some post about this topic, and someone posted a link for a place that had a mount that connected to the rear seat-bolt, I'll try and find it.

Thanks for all of the insight, guys. This helps a lot! I think the flickwhips bracket looks GREAT and that's probably what I'll go with for next year.

On another note, I have heard someone makes a replacement axle nut that has a bracket built-in for a whip flag. The guys using this axle nut then route the flag through a hole in the fender (for a guide) and that keeps them from breaking. Apparently a lot of guys at Glamis use this setup? This is the closest I could find to this setup:

flagholder.jpg

me and my buddies all made our whip brackets. ours are the kind that bolt onto the axle nut on the swingarm. a whip will usually last about 2 trips, depending on how rough you are on the whip. i am going to try to slide a piece of rubber hose over the whip to help keep it from flexing so much.

Thanks for all of the insight, guys. This helps a lot! I think the flickwhips bracket looks GREAT and that's probably what I'll go with for next year.

On another note, I have heard someone makes a replacement axle nut that has a bracket built-in for a whip flag. The guys using this axle nut then route the flag through a hole in the fender (for a guide) and that keeps them from breaking. Apparently a lot of guys at Glamis use this setup? This is the closest I could find to this setup:

flagholder.jpg

I picked that thing up and a whip from rockymountain for a trip to pismo. To make a long story short, the whip was too short to be seen and I had to rip a hole in the rear fender and mount the old way. So, just make sure you got a long whip.

In this case, size matters :cry: