Sign in to follow this  

WR250 and Q Pipe ??

Does anyone have any suggestions?? I had a leak jet put in my WR and supposedly had it jetted to accomodate my Q Pipe, but come to find out $200 later, the mechanic knows nothing about jetting and my bike now runs like crud?? My ex-boyfriend put a screw adjuster on my carb, but I think I am just making it worse every time I Mess with it. It wants to die when I crack the throttle

Try turning the fuel screw adjuster fully inwards and then out 1 3/4 turns. Turning the screw inwards will reduce the fuel at idle, outwards will increase the fuel.

Get the bike fully hot by riding it 15-20 minutes. Try turning the fuel screw inwards to see if the idle drops lower. Turn it outwards from this point by approximately 1/2 - 3/4 turns and check the response. Find the setting that idles steady, slightly fast, and returns to idle quickly. See if the response improves.

The fuel screw should be in the range of 1 - 3 turns from full inwards.

James

You need to go back to the stock jet and needle clip

settings and start from there, it sounds like your air screw

is off like JD said and you might try moving the clip up one noch on the needle to lean it out a little.

Hope this helps

Too many unanswered questions. You need to provide more info. What year is the bike? What size leak jet was put in? What exactly did he change on the jetting besides leak jet? What was the original jetting and did it run well then?

Also I would contact Q people and ask them what jetting changes they recommend with their pipe. Reposting with this info should help get you more useful responses.

2004 WR, size 40 leak jet, 1 up on the clip. It was stock before and ran funny then, but not as bad. Thanks for the replies. I'll try adjusting the screw.

What if you roll the throttle on slowly? If running O.K. with a slow roll but only stumbles with a quick crack to WOT then it would most likely be the leak jet change creating too rich a condition. When you crack the throttle it causes the accelerator pump to squirt its load (fuel) into the carb to compensate for the big gulp of air your engine just took. Many people have found the #40 leak jet the answer to the bog. Your mechanic probably read this so give him credit for that. I just went from the stock #90 (on 03 and I think 04's) to a #60 and have virtually no bog once warmed up even on the stand. I think there may be room for a little more improvement and will be trying the #40 soon. My jetting meter seems to indicate my pump is still squirting lean so I think the #40 may be perfect.

Keep in mind I am no expert. Just learning this stuff recently. Now I would think a Q muffler allows better breathing and creates a leaner condition "overall". If so the clip would need to be lowered in order to raise the needle allowing more gas. Sometimes the wording gets mixed up. Ask if he raised the needle or the clip? They mean opposites. Would others agree with this overall assessment?

And just for the heck of it take the muffler off and see what happens. Maybe there is a blockage in the muffler. Happened to my friend recently with same symptoms.

One other possibility. Your "ex-boyfriend" sabotaged your bike for dumping him. Go back out with him and see if it runs better.

2004 WR, size 40 leak jet, 1 up on the clip. It was stock before and ran funny then, but not as bad. Thanks for the replies. I'll try adjusting the screw.

Go back to the stock clip position and work from there. The bike will probably run better if you go lower on the clip position to lift the needle higher. The '03 WR used an OBDVS needle which is relatively lean to match the enclosed airbox and quiet exhaust.

James

That's funny, but he borrowed it before I left....he still liked me then.

Start dating JD! :cry: