Sign in to follow this  

80s DRZ

hmmm, i love the idea, but it doesn't scream old school.

not sure what it needs, but i think it needs something more. i think the blue isn't holding up it needs to be thicker. i would follow the blue on the shroud around the edge of the shroud and make it thicker. also ditch the suki "S" and go with the full name like on this bike...

http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/RM-RMX-series/RM250-adverts/1979_RM250_AoMC-ad3_800.jpg

or maybe do the 400 ala this design...

http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/RM-RMX-series/RM-adverts/Finland/1985-12_FI-MP1/1986_RM80-125-250_MP1_600.jpg

that site has tons of great pics for ideas. i'd bust some photoshop moves on your render but i'm tired, time to sleep.

cheers

droo

What makes me the maddest is I had a super flattrack frame. I can't find the darn thing. I have no idea who got off with it. That's what I'd love to build for the street. A flattracker with street legal lights. Colorado doesn't require turn signals. It really could be clean now if I can just figure out which buddy has my frame. Oh well it's nice to dream anyways. prairiedawg :cry:

I kinda like the third one but the retro 80s look is closer to the first one.

we just dug out my dad's 81 dr500 for my kid to ride.i will post a pic when i get a chance.its not yellow,but it will give you another idea.

much better =) i like the second one, but i'd swap the drz and 400, the third is cool, to but i would make the text stroked and not solid.

on the second one i think you might be able to get away with blue stripes on the side cover - like at the same angle as the shroud stripes?

anyway, they both look much better and more old school. what you really need to finish the look is a round headlight :cry:

cheers

droo

ps. thanks for the front brake info!

Good God Burned you been around Dr's for a while eh? The 80's look on a bike as nice as yours is gonna be hard to incorporate but it is different and a way cool idea! :cry: You guys and these SM bikes are killing me! I think it's time to find out how to convert mine as well! Looks costly , anyone know of price cutting short cuts to get close to the end result? :cry:

Good God Burned you been around Dr's for a while eh? The 80's look on a bike as nice as yours is gonna be hard to incorporate but it is different and a way cool idea! :cry: You guys and these SM bikes are killing me! I think it's time to find out how to convert mine as well! Looks costly , anyone know of price cutting short cuts to get close to the end result? :cry:

ours is near perfect.i will post a pic later. :cry:

okay i couldn't help myself, i had to see what a circle/oval side number plate would look like....

retrodrz_1.jpg

it would be even sweeter if you shaved some plastic...

retrodrz_2.jpg

and here's another with a different rear stripe, and a black chunk on the bottom to make the side pieces seem smaller.

retrodrz_3.jpg

Man I wanted one of those DR500's so bad way back when. I test road a used one but never quite figured out how to come up with the money to buy it... :cry:

Man I wanted one of those DR500's so bad way back when. I test road a used one but never quite figured out how to come up with the money to buy it... :cry:

its actually a really neat bike.its as fast as a xr600 and handles pretty well.i just put a S model carb on it.it wheelies like a champ now. :cry:

The shaved plastic is a good idea but wouldnt be simetrical since from the other side this shape is reserved from the filter cover and you cant shave this.. :cry:

The shaved plastic is a good idea but wouldnt be simetrical since from the other side this shape is reserved from the filter cover and you cant shave this.. :cry:

bah, get jesses vortex box and problem solved! =)

Ya that link to the 79 RM's is cool(MY how things have changed) Interesting too cause i have a 79 RM 50 in my garage thats in near perfect shape! Sweet little bike runs like a champ. I had a 79 RM 100 when i was a kid too so that took me back a few years thats for sure. What year did they offer the RM 370? my buddys dad had one of those growing up! :cry:

Now that could easily be turned into a flat tracker. I have an Omars gas tank and seat-fender combo out on my carport sitting on a XS650 Yamaha right now. I don't really like the yammie that much but for a 400 it sure could be sweet. I got to get me another frame. I wish I knew where my Champion is. I wonder if T Wilson has it? That's one I haven't checked yet. prairiedawg :cry: :cry: