Sign in to follow this  

The carnage continues - deeper engine damage pics

The title pretty much says it all. I went over to bronco's house tonight to get my carb ready, he worked to darn fast we had enough time to remove my cylinder and piston from the original engine. I will repost a few of the original pics for those new to the site, especially since I deleted the previous ones.

Do I know how to destroy stuff or what :cry:

plug3.jpg

pistontop.jpg

gouge2.jpg

cylinder-scratch.jpg

head1.jpg

pistonbottom.jpg

rod1.jpg

rod2.jpg

rod3.jpg

Am I good or what :cry:

Yep that's one blown to hell and back motor alright. Dang! I'm just surprised it didn't lock up the back wheel and pitch ya off. I saw a guy on a XR-750 Harley blow up like that and it threw him into the haybales like a ragdoll. You got good reflexes to get on a clutch that fast because that motor is what we used to call done been fragged. prairiedawg :cry: :cry:

It locked it up for less than 20 feet and considering I was in fourth or fifth and at the rev limiter (actually just under when it happened, seconds before I was bumping it pretty good :cry:), it shows why you should always cover the clutch with a finger or two. That plus I must have sub-consciously felt/heard something because I had just backed off ever so slightly. As much as I would like to think my reflexes are that fast, age has caught up with me a bit, luck played a huge part as well :cry:

Probably also a good thing I had a witness right behind me to vouch for what I say. I can't believe I didn't dump it either, but bronco saw the whole thing.

The originals are gone for good, but basically the story goes like this......

I like to ride hard at times and at this particular time I was ripping up a road in between trails (lost actually) and the bike locked up. I laid down and took a nap while bronco had one heck of a ride getting back to the rigs and then trying to figure out how to get to the road I was on. He ended up going out to the highway, down the road 7 miles or so and then off onto a series of logging roads :cry:. He managed to find me and we got off the mountain and saw a beautiful sunset (my wife and myself, not bronco :cry: he got to see it with his wife). After a lot of debate and tracking the damage, we decided that the left exhaust valve broke (it has the only straight stem) and what you see is the result of the piece meeting piston and head at 10K rpm.

The bike is/was a 2003 klx400r, but next week will be a 02/03 yoshisaki 450, engine is due here tuesday and that afternoon/evening we'll unpack, weigh, poke around in it a little, and install it. That is a lot to do and while it would take me a much longer to do alone, I am fortunate to live near someone who has the skills and knowledge to make the job go faster and smoother. It should start by wednesday if not that night. BTW the new to me/barely used engine has a story of its own.

BTW the new to me/barely used engine has a story of its own.

Okay, now you've got to tell us that story.

This whole thing must be hard on the pocket book. I feel for ya. At least between you and Bronco, you don't have to rely on a shop to do the work.

Alright, I'm ready for that story now... :cry:

The engine has a bit of a history here on TT. It was originally built by yoshimura for Rodney Smith's back up/training bike in 2002 for the WORCS series. Therefore it was built containing whatever his #1 bike had in it. He was injured before he ever rode the bike. Suzuki dropped the WORCS series to concentrate on the GNCC series where they run the RM smokers at the end of that season. Not needing the bike Rodney sold it to a friend of his who rode it a couple of times and decided it was too much bike for him and his "family rides". So he sold it to a member here who rode the bike once, had another drz, didn't need to so he tried to sell it. Eventually parted it out and the engine ended up with another TT'er. This guy had a terrible drz jinx and so hopped to KTM at first chance, only rode his bike with this engine "two or three times". He ended up parting out his drz and has had the engine for sale and sold many times over the last year only to have the deal fall through. All toll, the last owner figures it has less than 15 hours on it.

Is the cylinder damaged beyond being able to be bored and sleeved as in ME436 kit? If so would it be for sale?

I've had the mcct from RUI sitting in my garage for a while now, just need to get time to put it on! After seeing those warm and fuzzy pics I thinK it will be my next project!Thats nice, really really nice! :cry:

I've had the mcct from RUI sitting in my garage for a while now, just need to get time to put it on! After seeing those warm and fuzzy pics I thinK it will be my next project!Thats nice, really really nice! :cry:

good plan,, but the carnage above was NOT caused by the CCT. It was a failed valve that started the damage train.

Is the cylinder damaged beyond being able to be bored and sleeved as in ME436 kit? If so would it be for sale?

10Guy will be sending the cyl off for inspection and repair (94.5 or 95mm sleeve) if it is worth the cost (depending on other repair needed) I would think even if the gouge at the top is too deep for removal by the boring for the sleeve,, it should be able to be welded, then bored.. But at what cost :cry: :cry: That is the question as of yet unanswered.

Chris - it had nothing to do with the cam chain or tensioner failure. Possibly could have been worse if I still had the acct. though. As I stated above, it was a failure of the left exhaust valve that started it.

Meangreen - I don't see any reason why the cylinder can't be repaired, either by welding it up, boring and replating, or boring, sleeving, and replating. Why would you want an unusable cylinder :cry:

Halfcab - I run 13/47 for a gear ratio and at the time of the disaster I had hot cams intake and exhaust cams installed. They were both sent back to hot cams for analysis and found that they were still exactly where they should be.

When this happened I got a hold of Sean at hot cams, he said to send them in and they would check them out for me. I sent them in and the day they received them, they were checked out and found to be perfect. When I asked what I owed them, he said nothing. All I paid for was to ship them to hot cams, they even paid to ship them back. Would I recommend them as a supplier ----- YES excellent customer service.

burned - what do you think about the crank and the rest of the engine? Is there any other parts you can think of to check out? The crank will be of course.