Sign in to follow this  

Rear shock spring replacement - help needed

Ok, I've run into a bit of a problem getting the spring off my rear shock to be replaced with the new eibach 5.7 .... got the shock out with a bit of friggin around, upended it in the vice and wound down the preload springs to free up the spring and pushed down the rubber bump stop and started looking at the spring retainer. I've read the other posts on the topic here and the stern warnings to avoid undoing the clevis (or "that funny u shaped thing ere" as I call it) but I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to separated as it all appears one piece to me.

I've sprayed some graphite penetrator on it to try and get it to loosen somewhat, but it all appears one piece and I can't see where any circlip should be. If removing the clevis means stuffing the shock, I'm of course fairly keen to avoid it :cry: I've attached a couple of pics to let you see what I'm talking about......

Picture of the spring retainer dropped down from its stop on the clevis...

drz_shock_bottom.jpg

And another with my thumb lifting it up...

drz_shock_bottom_lifted.jpg

:cry:

Neil.

That ring is actually two rings, just knock the outer one down and it will expose the circlip :cry:

I've given it a bit of a belt but it refuses to budge at the moment. Am currently letting the graphite spray soak in while I soak in a couple of beers.....

Hmm, maybe I need a bigger hammer......... :cry:

IIRC it goes toward the spring, you remove the circlip and then it and the sping slide off.

Ok, goddit, thanks :cry:

Required a fair bit more force than I thought .... I really had to beat on it in combination with a lot of WD40 to get it to budge, but it came off eventually. For anyone else wanting to know "what lies below"..... :cry:

drz_shock_bottom_apart.jpg