Sign in to follow this  

KL250 owners?

Hi everyone.

I am slowly gathering parts to do a restoration on my 1979 KL250 that I bought new in 1980. No, it's not cost effective but it's mostly sentimental. Given the pricing that I see good used KLRs go for, I figure it's about the same. I know the bike and there are barely 6000 miles on the clock.

It's been sitting in pieces indoors for 13 years (took a job 300 miles away, lost interest, etc.) and time has taken its toll. When I parked it the fuel tank had developed a leak and I never got a kit to seal it. Now the tank is nearly beyond repair but could probably be sealed and would need to be repainted. I'm weighing this against approximately $260 for a new tank.

Cosmetically, it needs a new exhaust (currently broke off below the right footpeg), refurbish or replace the seat, renew or replace the plastic (very weather checked and faded), replace some miscellaneous rusted parts, new tires, and touch up some areas on the frame. Engine wise I have a carb rebuild kit on hand, it probably needs new points/condensor, new carb boots and air filter. Chassis wise I'm procuring new cables.

Indeed, more money, time and trouble than I could sell it for. I guess it's the love of the machine and a tangible connection to my teenage years. This summer I bought a 1979 KZ650 SR and did quite a bit of restoration work on it although it wasn't in such sad shape so I know what I'm getting myself into.

I just thought I would introduce myself and see if anyone else has one of these older bikes. Has anyone come up with a method to restore old weather checked plastic to a smooth surface for repainting?

- Nate >>

I think thats very cool man. Good luck on the restoration. Take some before and after pics and put em up here. :cry: :cry:

Thanks!

Before pics won't be very pretty as I brought a box of parts home last night. I've had the tank here for some time and I've been evaluating its condition very carefully. Looking at the frame yesterday it appears that everything is solid and not much rust has accumulated over the years. The seat is shot as are all the plastic pieces.

I have my work cut out for me!

- Nate >>

Hi, Ive got a couple of these and am looking for more! Im also gathering parts for engine rebuild. If you are in US, I see parts on Ebay all the time, US to NZ post is so expoensive though it seems. One is in nice condition, its my farm bike, but Ive lowered the gearing and I run it on avgas. I absolutely love it, I treat it as a full on motocrosser and take on my friends and beat them round my own track! Definitely need to have a good bash plate made up, longer rear shocks with harder springs would lift the low engine a little and give a bit more bounce and shift the centre of balance for easier wheelies. Hows your bike going? Would like 3 more, I have dreams of rewelding the frame, lowering the swingarm mounts, shorter shocks, fat rear wheel 250 single........chopper!