Sign in to follow this  

DRZ125 Modifications

First, I searched dozens of past posts. Then I put a combo together at what I could afford and did those mods first.

Heres what I came up with:

Airbox mod with TwinAir filter. The filter is at least half the size and really helps with this mod.

Jetted the bike to 20 pilot and 107.5 main. Drilled out the brass plug that covers the pilot screw and adjusted to 2-1/2 turns outward. Also, I ride at 1000 and below.

Then I cut out that center piece on the exhaust cap. Unless you really file that lip smooth, itll sound like crap. Ended up buying a billet cap off of ebay which looks cool, is cheap, and sounds better. The pipe is much louder now but that was never a concern.

Summary, the bike breathes noticeably 100% better. Theres a little more power to the ground and someone light may be able to pull a tiny wheelie. The best feature from the mods I had were, the bike is much easier for my wife to start now. I ride a two stroke and waiting for her to start that thing on the trails is brutal on my clutch.

Thats really all the mods my wife needed. If its too slow for her later, Ill buy her a DR250.

There are other expensive mods that yield you more power and stuff, Im sure the frequent posters can give you a better clue.

I did all the above first, and was able to roll into full 12:00 wheelies( not poping the clutch) you just have to find the optimum spot in the powerband.

I have since added a Big Gun exhaust and a K&N, that helped even more. I am going to get the cam next, and the 150cc bore job.

According to Powroll, the biggest single improvement is the ignition. It pulls off your heavy flywheel, and also lets it rev higher. They make a cam for it specifically, so if your thinking about it, you'd probably want to make your mind up before you do either. I did their cam, piston, ignition, and carb all at once.

Hmm......I don't use all the revs it has. I ride alot of tight (as wide as the handlebars) trails through trees and stuff, I use the low grunt more. Plus, it is deep sand. rev it too fast, I sit on the frame. So i will keep my flywheel, and ignition.

But the suspension definatly needs to be reworked, if you weigh more than 80#.

I am not too sure I will ever get the $500 ignition, I am just not sure it will work well for me. This bike will probable never see a track.

I am going to get the mild powroll cam, though, after the suspension is done. We will see after that.