Sign in to follow this  

Finally got my FCR39 installed today...WOW!!!

Have been riding my "S" with a Full YOSH Stainless,3x4 airbox mod and Mikuni with Dynojet for past 7 months. Finally decided to go with a used FCR that I purchased from someone in the group who knows something about jetting. Well it took me a month to get the correct parts I needed after ordering some that did not work with my OEM FCR (I'm working overseas). Well all I can say if you have an "S" with the YOSH pipe and Mikuni/Dynojet and airbox mod and think it's pretty darned good then I gotta tell you...Just what everybody else here says that the difference between the Mikuni/Dynojet and a correctly jetted FCR is like night and day. I can't imagine ever putting that Mikuni back on. My jetting is working so great (Thanks to the seller) that I'm not going to mess at all with it. For reference I've got a 2003S with Full Yosh Pipe, 3x4 airbox mod, FCR39 with the following setting 162, 38, 5/8, DTM3. Someday when I'm back in the U.S. and maybe adding the full yosh engine kit I'll pay to have someone Dyno the thing with the JD kit and see if anything else can be tweaked out of the carb but for now I'm very very happy :cry: "S" Owners...Get a FCR!!!

You won't regret it...

you suck, you really do. I have exactly the same bike with the same mods and yes the next power mod for me would be the FCR but you realy suck for making such a clear case.

dang it.... my bike runs awesome and now I'll have to get that stupid carb.....ya know I wish someone would explain the technical reason why the FCR carb is better. Once the fuel mix is carbureted then one fuel mix volume is a good as another? right? what does the FCR mix more fuel with more air and force feed more fuel/air mass down into the engine? is that it? how can it do that? these are naturally aspirated engines right? the FCR is not turbo. I dont get it, technically why it is better.

I dont get how a carburetor adds more power.

Sorry 'bout that Bob :cry:

All I can say is if you've ridden a two stroke motocross bike...The acceleration with the FCR is similar...Kinda explosive...I'd reckon it doesn't do anything for your fuel mileage but I ride 99% off-road and have the IMS 4.2 on mine...

I'll leave the technical explanation to the better qualified ones here....

I wouldn't think that a carb adds more power per se but would definetly add more response which can seem like more power. I may be wrong but does a carb actually add more power?

Yes, I have the same bike and have had fun doin' BUNCH -O- MODS, but the fcr is the trick.......Bike is a different animals now! :cry:

the bsr is 36 mm,the fcr is 39mm.thats where the power comes from.

the response comes from the fact its not a cv carb.the slide is acutated by the cable.your not waiting for the slide to come up.

the accelerator pump is needed becuase of the immediate vacuum drop and the instant in rush of air.

the fcr makes more power and response.period. :cry:

ok guys.... where is the best place to get an FCR carb? What else do i need to get with it? carb boots? a JD kit?, acessories? I'll probably dish this job off on my mechanic - have him get the bike all ready for winter with the 4000 mile service I talked about n al - new wet season tires soup to nuts upgrade.

does cv stand for constant volume? or carb veeenie :cry:

I'll need jetting instructions for 3000-5000 ft elevation. I have the yosh full pipe and 3x3 air box and I run the Medium TEC insert....

I dont know where I'll find the money$$$

you guys really suck. except Burned of course. :cry:

I run the medium insert as well

I did the Carb from Sudco with Choke since it does get chilly here, see my sig for my settings which work very well for 3500 ft. I was running a 150 main before the 450

Sudco gave me what I needed except I needed a throtle as well (maybe a quirk with the 04 CA E)

I did recently get the airbox boot only so I could run the power now which I also like.

I'm sure you can find a used one but personally I would rather spend the money rather then loose the time which is money to me :cry:

I'm sure you can find a used one but personally I would rather spend the money rather then loose the time which is money to me :cry:

Here is some 20/20 hindsight, for a guy that has some money, but not enough for all the toys, or to just throw away.

After doing a used FCR swap... I would not do it again, unless I knew the bike it was coming off of, it's history, ect ect AND got a screaming deal (like $100 or less). Working with an unknown carb, as well as trying to work the variables of setting it up for a new bike is very difficult. I would have been time ahead,, and dead even $$$ wise had I just bought a new carb.

I got lucky and got mine from good source...

After I return the wrong throttle cable total will

have cost me $370...Cheaper than the Edelbrock :cry:...

I by no means am trying to hijack your post but, I was going to write this same post today. I got mine on today with burned's jetting specs and I agree WOW :cry:. Bike fired right up and it runs awsome. burned you are the man :cry:. Thanks for the help. :cry:

After doing a used FCR swap... I would not do it again, unless I knew the bike it was coming off of, it's history, ect ect AND got a screaming deal (like $100 or less). Working with an unknown carb, as well as trying to work the variables of setting it up for a new bike is very difficult. I would have been time ahead,, and dead even $$$ wise had I just bought a new carb.

Well there is some truth in that statement. I bought 2 used FCR carbs.(

screaming deal

)

Both were kinda in need of some "refurbishing". (Were on bikes that obviously didn't get washed much) :cry: anyhoo....

They both required some elbow grease and one needed some gaskets etc. to get it back to like new condition.

But at the same time that is to be expected. Did you have a much worse experience Bronco? You sound like you did.

I just don't think paying 2 times the price of used is worth it when a few gaskets, checking all the parts, verifying the float / float valve and some elbow grease can get it back into perfect shape. Although yes it does take some time to go through the carb...

Clean all the parts, change what needs changin and go. :cry:

thanks bronco...for the input.

used or new, I'm still a few months from this new carb mod. Like the pipe its a cost that will require me to pump my self up and dream about it for a few months before I save and feel ok to spend the money.

meanwhile I just went by my local KTM dealer and he was setting two new 525 MXC bikes fully dual sported with slim small lights and a smallish tailight & blinker piece. He let me throw a leg over one.... OMG I allmost cried. The store owner said he can get a CA plate for those bikes but he would not advertize that...... :cry:

gosh as much as I have spent on my DRZ and as much as I love it. If he would have taken it as a trade in I would have bought one of those dual sported 525 MXC s in a heartbeat. Those bikes all readdy have that bigger tank - wow i tell ya next summer when I'm finance ready to buy my second bike....I'm gonna have FUN shoppin that is for sure. :cry:

thanks bronco...for the input.

used or new, I'm still a few months from this new carb mod. Like the pipe its a cost that will require me to pump my self up and dream about it for a few months before I save and feel ok to spend the money.

meanwhile I just went by my local KTM dealer and he was setting two new 525 MXC bikes fully dual sported with slim small lights and a smallish tailight & blinker piece. He let me throw a leg over one.... OMG I allmost cried. The store owner said he can get a CA plate for those bikes but he would not advertize that...... :cry:

gosh as much as I have spent on my DRZ and as much as I love it. If he would have taken it as a trade in I would have bought one of those dual sported 525 MXC s in a heartbeat. Those bikes all readdy have that bigger tank - wow i tell ya next summer when I'm finance ready to buy my second bike....I'm gonna have FUN shoppin that is for sure. :cry:

I'm sorry but I would have cried if I bought one!

I took a ride on one and was not impressed, harsh suspension, bike out and out rattles, too much engine vibration,felt in the bars, I went with the 450 for my Z instead and am way happy :cry: It would have been the biggest mistake of my cycle career IMO ...Sorry....I just dont get the orange thing :cry:

Well there is some truth in that statement. I bought 2 used FCR carbs.(

screaming deal

)

Both were kinda in need of some "refurbishing". (Were on bikes that obviously didn't get washed much) :cry: anyhoo....

They both required some elbow grease and one needed some gaskets etc. to get it back to like new condition.

But at the same time that is to be expected. Did you have a much worse experience Bronco? You sound like you did.

I just don't think paying 2 times the price of used is worth it when a few gaskets, checking all the parts, verifying the float / float valve and some elbow grease can get it back into perfect shape. Although yes it does take some time to go through the carb...

Clean all the parts, change what needs changin and go. :cry:

Nate it's not the work involved.. It's the time,, and unknowns.

Plus parts... Fuel bowl packing was $30,, mine needed the vac release plate and gasket,, $80, I replaced the top gasket and O ring for the bell mouth, plus o-ring, washer and spring for the fuel screw... Then the required JD kit, PAS, and jets as needed.. Zipty throttle wheel, All that and I have a used carb, that I spent 4 hours cleaning. Plus the WR FCR has a fuel inlet that points the wrong way. Add in the trouble shooting time (days) tracking down the vac leak... It simply is not worth it.. Yes you can save some $$, but time, effort, and easy of set up are also very important to those who actually want to ride more then wrench.

Bob, one other thing for you to consider..... Setting up, adapting, cleaning troubleshooting a used carb is something that many shops will not touch,, and if they do,,, my educated guess is,, you will pay much more top do that,, than have that same shop install a new FCR carb..

well then new carb i mots likely will be and thanks Jshur for the 525 comments

how can a gorgeous bike like that suck? amazing......I love my DRZ.

well then new carb i mots likely will be and thanks Jshur for the 525 comments

how can a gorgeous bike like that suck? amazing......I love my DRZ.

Hey no problem, I even had my DRZ in the paper ready to sell, thankfully I got to ride the 525 before I lost my bike. My wife would have NEVER let me live that one down :cry: :cry:

I'm sure the KTM in the hands of someone looking to squeeze every last piece of performance and who isnt 48 (me) might prefer the KTM for its unforgiving response. Funny enough I can live with the rattle of a Harley but the dirt bike rattle seemed like too much vibration (and it was a 2003) with stabilzer. I know that the way my bike is set up right now it is far from being the weak link in how fast I can go, I'm sure I'm the weak link and I've been riding since the 70's (did take a 20 year break). DRZ's can kick butt and be a sweet ride. I've heard Burned likes em too!

With the support on this group how could anyone think of owning any other bike :cry: