Sign in to follow this  

Looking for Some Good Trail Riding Near to Central Indiana

I grew up riding enduros in the nearby woods and fields on the Northwest side of Indy, but now that I'm older and getting back into riding off-road (after about 15-years out of the saddle), I can't seem to find a good place to ride witin reasonable distance of Indianapolis. A buddy of mine and I went to Badlands in Attica last weekend and were sorely (literally) disappointed. Don't get me wrong; Badlands is an excellent place to ride if you're on 4 wheels. However, it is located in an old gravel pit and there is so much loose gravel and silt that it feels like there are tiny fingers reaching up and grabbing your front tire at every turn. The woods part wasn't much better. I felt like I was learning to ride all over again. I now live in Fishers which is a suburb just northeast of Indy. I noticed that DNR has a place listed in Muncie called Prairie Creek Reservoir and Park. Has anyone been to this place? Is it any good? I'm looking for some general trail riding - nothing real technical, just some nice trails to ride in the woods. :cry:

-Linn

I saw your other post also, about Selma.. Did you go check it out? I am right near you. I am on the NE side.. by castleton.. and always looking for a riding buddy. Let me know what you found out about that place.. or if ya hear of anywhere to ride.

I ride track mostly.. but.. would def go trail riding with someone.. just to ride!

Anytime you want to come to SCENIC Southern Indiana you are welcome. We are always looking for more riding buddies. In Indiana you just about have to be willing to drive 2-3 hrs. to find a place to ride. :cry:

My friends and I spend 90% of our time at Haspin Acres which is down by Rushville, (Laurel to be exact). I think they have trails that span several different skill levels. If you're looking for riding buddies let me know :cry:

Thanks guys. I don't know if I'll be able to scope out Prarie Creek anytime soon. We have plans today and we have a scout campout next weekend (my son is a 2nd year Webelo and will be camping out with one of the local Boy Scout Troops). I may be able to take off on a Friday in a week or so and drive up there. I'll let you know what they have. I thought about Haspin. It seems like their website has a lot of ORV 4X4 pics. When you get jeeps and trucks out on muddy trails, you end up with a lot of deep ruts. That's not much fun to ride in. Do they have separate riding areas for bikes/ATVs or do the share with the trucks? What are the trail conditions like? I'll bet this is a real popular place in the Fall. October is always busy for us, but I have some PTO saved up at work. Maybe I can break away early on a Friday and hit the trails. I'd like to meet some other local riders so I don't have to ride alone. Do you guys normally ride on the weekends or can you go during the week? :cry:

The woods part wasn't much better. I felt like I was learning to ride all over again.

:cry:

I don't know what your looking for, I thought the badlands was pretty good, all things considered. If the woods were muddy and you couldn't use them I would understand. Did you check the whole place out, or just stay on the pea gravel. Yeah, I know it's not GREAT, but for what's available in the area. :cry: :cry:

We go there in the winter time usually once or twice a year. It was a lot better when they had 2 MX tracks, but they let them go to $h!t.

Ya, know, now that you mention it, THAT PLACE IS A HOLE! (but again, there's just not that much to choose from for us northerners.) :cry:

True, there are 4X4's there but there are definitely a lot of single track trails. IMHO the trails are fine. I just started riding this year after 16 years off and the only frustrations I encounter are from lack of skill but I'm working on that! :cry:

The trails can get rutted by the quads but that's what you're going to encounter anywhere. Unfortunately Indiana doesn't have a lot of State trails like Michigan does.

I have about 4 days left for vacation this year, I can probably use one of them to go on a weekday.

Sounds like you need to go to Lawerence County Recreation Park. Pretty much all woods. About 400 acres.

I generaly ride down there every other week. Some of us were down there this last Sunday. I didn't see anyone else on the trail, and only saw about 4 other people in the parking area.

It's just over an hour drive from the south side of Indy.

http://www.abateofindiana.com/lcrp/lcrp.php

Haspin is alright. The trails are more chewed up that Larry Co, but the hills are more challenging. It's a good place to go in the middle of the week when the chance of being run over by some mullet on a quad are much less.

I had a lot of fun the last time I was there.

Sounds like you need to go to Lawerence County Recreation Park. Pretty much all woods. About 400 acres.

I generaly ride down there every other week. Some of us were down there this last Sunday. I didn't see anyone else on the trail, and only saw about 4 other people in the parking area.

It's just over an hour drive from the south side of Indy.

http://www.abateofindiana.com/lcrp/lcrp.php

Haspin is alright. The trails are more chewed up that Larry Co, but the hills are more challenging. It's a good place to go in the middle of the week when the chance of being run over by some mullet on a quad are much less.

I had a lot of fun the last time I was there.

You SOB, you shoulda called. :cry:

Don't forget Redbird at Dugger. They are doing good work there and opening new trails all the time.

P.S. went on the Thumpertalk ride at Hatfield-McCoy and it was great! :cry: If you haven't been there, plan a trip.

Well, I finally made it up to Prairie Creek Reservoir and found that they have some pretty decent trails. A little bit of mud, but not bad. Great Fall colors and beautiful overlook of the water. It took me about an hour from Fishers, IN. This park is just East of Muncie, IN and they charge a modest $2.00 to ride all day. Here's one of the pictures I took. DCP_0008.JPG

-Indiana :cry:

Do they have a website/phone number for directions?

Do they have a website/phone number for directions?

RE:Prairie Creek

Unless you live real close this place is very small, and is mostly fisherman trails to the lake. I went once, not worth my time.

I just relocated from Southern California, and I am sorely missing the high desert and public lands. I have no riding buddies, and this is my first time on back on the board since august... I was really happy to see this thread and I am looking forward to experiencing what Indiana has to offer. I am in Frankfort, Clinton County, about 40 minutes north of Indy.

BTW moving out here, I felt as if I was the only guy not driving a pontiac grand am or riding a quad!! :cry:

Hey SirTeachAlot,

The Ironman GNCC race is at Crawfordsville this weekend. That's just a hop skip and a jump from FrankFart.

There's a few of us running the morning race on Sunday. Come on out!

Don't forget Redbird at Dugger. They are doing good work there and opening new trails all the time.

P.S. went on the Thumpertalk ride at Hatfield-McCoy and it was great! :cry: If you haven't been there, plan a trip.

Don't you have to be register with the DNR to ride at Dugger or Prarie Creek? Anderson

You can get directions and contact info from the Indiana Trail Riders Association. MWTRA Praire Creek

You need to check in with the park office and pay $2.00 for a daily pass. They asked me if I had registered my bike with DNR. They said that it is possible for DNR to do some spot checks, but they hadn't seen them for a while. My bike is registered with DNR and Indiana BMV, so I was set to go. The riding area is on the SW corner of the reservoir. I thought the wooded trails were fun to ride on. There are quite a few trails (some rocks and fallen limbs to navigate). I think this is a good place to ride if you are looking for general trail riding. If you are looking for an MX track, I'd go somewhere else. Also, if you go to Badlands, you'd better have an ATV with you. Once you figure out you can't steer a two-wheeler in the loose, silty terrain, you're going to be bummed :cry:(as was I).

-Indiana :cry: