Sign in to follow this  

Engine runs fine, bike wont go. Rebuild Transmission?

I was riding recently and was pulling out of a dirt road when I stopped, shifted down into 1st and started to go. The bike just made weird noises when I let out on the clutch and died. No power at all to the rear wheel.It idles fine as long as the clutch is in. The bike shifts fine. I drained the oil and found a single tooth from a gear in it. First gear has made a consist popping noise for months now, my Yamaha dealer just told me to ride it until it broke. I need more 10W30 oil to see how it runs now with that tooth out of the transmission. I guess I need to rebuild the transmission? The Haynes manual isnt particularly helpful, is it as simple as pulling the right side off the engine off and just finding the gear that is damaged and getting the replacement part?

i think you need a new first gear not a whole transmission. your dealer doesnt sound very helpful i would go elswhere if you could if you have a shop telling you to ride it till it breaks.

maybe I should buy a kawasaki or something, they might have dealers who care about customers. I guess I was a little vague, by rebuild transmission I meant replace obviously worn or damaged parts.

Yes, Yamaha is a crap company with heartless bastards but who knows if Kawasaki is any better. I had to sue Yamaha to get my problem resolved with them but I think that's how Jap companies are, not as customer focused as US companies.

Just find an independent bike shop with a good rep and have them fix it, it will probably be cheaper and they'll do a better job. My Yamaha dealer is very nice but not the sharpest. Took several weeks to figure out how to replace the rear spring.

Trannys are pretty easy to work on, but if you haven't done it before, then I would take it to someone who knows how and watch them do it. They are also expensive and the big problem is when one gear breaks, it usually takes out the opposite gear too. Meaning if a countershaft gear breaks the matching main shaft gear is damaged too. And to make it worse sometimes the gears are connected like 3rd and 4th, which are really expensive. The only way to know for sure is to take it all apart. And don't lose any washers or clips.

I oiled it back up today and took off from 2nd gear, runs fine, shifted into 3rd and managed to lay the bike over in a turn, damn rear tire was flat. Seems to run fine. What is a reasonable price for what I need done?

The reason I say Kawasaki is because here there is a Yamaha/Suzuki dealer and a Kawasaki/Honda dealer. The guys at the Kawasaki/Honda shop seem alot more interested in making sure you are buying the right thing when you go there and the Yamaha/Suzuki shop just wants you to buy something. They had actually lost my bike somewhere in the shop(they had to look for it)at the Yamaha place when I took it in.

As for an idependent shop, what should I do , check the yellow pages? Does anyone know of a shop near Mobile, Alabama that works on yamahas?