Sign in to follow this  

Torque Wrench

I really want a torque wrench but i do not know what to get. I want a simple yet good one. I dont want to spend a whole lot on it. It going to be mainly used on the MX bike so whats a good one to get for a good price? I hate not knowing how tight im making the bolts.

We have a couple Craftmen torque wrenches. They are pretty simple to use and not too pricey. I got them on sale for $50 a piece. I think they retail for about $75.

I got a cheap one at Kragen Auto for $10 bucks. Never broken anything with it yet. Works great.

Any decent brand clicker style will be a good one. I've got a old (grandpa bought it new years ago) Proto 1/2 drive clicker that's been a damn good one.

Stay away from the beam type, they're inaccurate as hell, you'd be better of guessing at the torque than using one of those. I don't much care for the new electronic ones either, they tend to start doing wacky things once ya get em greasy a few times. The good ol clicker style is the best IMO :cry:

Snap-on!

Well thats if you want to pay an obscene amount of money...

But it will last you as long as you live!

Craftsman is a good one, and I got an Ace Hardware one for $55 and its very good and accurate. I tested it against my dads snap-on torque wrench and they showed up the same.

As said before, Get a clicker, and for a mx bike make sure it goes up to 90 pounds at least for rear axel nuts and swingarms and such.

Later,

Dan

What size do you need? There are so many to choose from

By size i mean the torque measurment, not phyiscal

Stay away from the beam type, they're inaccurate as hell, you'd be better of guessing at the torque than using one of those.

What do you base that statement on? :cry: I've got a beam and a few clickers. I've connected the beam to the clikcers using sockets and they are amazingly close. :cry:

As far as torque ranges, IMO you'll probably need at least two. A micro for up to about 15 ft lbs and a larger one for 20 - 100+ ft lbs.

Stay away from the beam type, they're inaccurate as hell, you'd be better of guessing at the torque than using one of those.

Dude... you couldn't be more wrong. I've got both the bar and clicker types. Both very good quality models. The bar torque wrench measures exactly the same as my Craftsman clicker does. I dunno, maybe you got one of those cheap Taiwanese brands.

The beam type are generally pretty acurate when they're brand new but the problem is after the steel is flexed many times it takes less force to bend it due to fatigue, meaning you'll be putting less torque than the wrench says.

Mabey for folks that don't use their torque wrench much they're ok but I tend to use mine constantly and I won't trust a beam type on my toys.

Also another tip alot of people don't know.... if at all possible, avoid using any type of extension or U-joint when you're torquing bolts... they'll throw off your reading.