Sign in to follow this  

trashed my motor....need some advice

I had a piston circlip come out on my 04 crf250 and do lots of damage. The cylinder is trashed.... need a new one, the clips went into the bottom end so I need to replace the crank also. The Piston and rings are trashed of course. The head was fine nothing got on top of the piston. All together the stock parts from Service honda total $423.60. Then Im going to have to pay someone labor to split the cases and put the thing back together. I'm not sure how much that will be. Should I just go ahead and get a bigbore kit for this thing? I weigh 195 and run it pretty hard in the vet class and could use the extra power. If so who makes one and what are the costs involved? Any info would be much appreciated. Im anticipating a repair bill of around $700.00 or so just to put it back to stock.

Thanks Will

Sorry to hear about the mechanical failure.......sucks.

One thing to remember about the big bore kits, at least the ones I have seen, is you loose the cylinder plating.

I hear what you are talking about in terms of getting/wanting a bit bigger shot of uggggmph out of the little 250, and would offer this as an idea and possible solution to your quest.

1. Get in touch with Eric Gorr of Forward motion racing.com

2. Talk to him about the Wiseco high comp pistion (.75+). Still allows you to use pump gas, and nice boost in power across the RPMs and noticably down low and mid.

3. Get Eric to flow/polish etc your head. Almost scary what these two things can do to power with these machines and bang for the buck is way cheaper than an exhaust system, and get more from it.

4. KWhite is supposed to have their stainless valves out anytime now, and while Eric is in there cleaning things up, swap up to SS valve sets and new springs. You are in that far, fix any "potential" deamons that could pop up in the future.

Nice thing about this is you remain stock, with the longevity (if your circlip doesnt get lunched that is) of the plating in the bore.

When it is time for me to swap out my piston/do a top end this is what I am going to do, head, SS valves and the .75+ piston. I just put a higher comp piston in my sons yamaha 250f and the performance gains were scary nice!...couldnt believe the gains and well over a 1/3 the price of an exhaust set up that wouldnt net those overall gains.

Just an idea from many that are out there.

Thumper-racing is an awesome choice if you are in the situation that you are in now and want the big bore option, Call Thumper-Racing (262 kit) and talk to Gary about your situation and what you are looking for. He is very helpful and always willing to talk with you on the phone!

Forward Motion Racing also does the big bore stuff too and Eric really knows his stuff with 4-stroke motors.......as does Gary. Both gentlemen are great in taking time to talk with customers or potential customers over the phone.

Free advice from a builder is always a good thing!

Good luck and let us know what you finally end up doing and how it works!

HR

:cry:

:cry:

Thanks for the info. Hawaii-rider. I think I'm just going to put it back together stock. I need some more power for the Vet classes here. Im getting killed on the starts and am thinking about just buying a new yz250 2 stroke. :cry: thanks Will

big bore kits doesnt always mean you lose the plating.thats just how people plike thumper racing do it.

check out http://www.mt-llc.com/flash.shtml

most of the time they can bore and replate the cylinder depending on size.if it gets to the point of needing a sleeve for thickness,they use a aluminum sleeve and replate.

just say no to iron liners. :cry: :cry: :cry:

In my world a blown up motor is the perfect excuse for a big bore kit. I was checking the RPM website. The 302 is a little expensive but the 276 kit might be the way to go!! :cry:

If I go with a Big bore kit then it might hurt the resale for someone that wants to race the 125 class. I'm just going back stock with it and will probably sell it and get something with a little more ponies. thanks, Will