Sign in to follow this  

DR650 no power low down

Got an old 650, seems to be trying to cut out bottom end, running fine once we're away. I've cleaned the carb,airbox, adjusted the mix. Anybody got any ideas, new jets, needle maybe? They looked ok. When i say old shes 1988 i think! Its probably something real simple and I'm missing it, any ideas? Cheers

The year of the bike should be on the steering tube on the frame. FYI, the first DR650 was 1990. Before that, they were known as SP600's. Your fuel/air mixture is probably off. Also, you might have a bunch of cracked air hoses on a bike that old. I needed to replace about every vacuum line on my 1990 when i was rebuilding it.

many thanks , your right its a 600, i'll check the lines again, they seemed ok. Whats the basic setting for the mix screw, do you know (i should get a manual) ?

I'd like to be able to help out, but I don't know how they jetted the 600. My guess is that you should probably drill the air/fuel screw cover off (carefully as to not damage the jet beneath), then remove it and see if it is dirty. Clean and replace. Make sure you count the amount of turns when putting back in. I recommend that you turn it in first. Usually the screw should be about 1 turn out stock, but that's on the 650.

midders, I have had good luck solveing such problems by running marvel mystery oil added to the gas. Other things to look for is the slide may be sticking or the seal leaking and remove the mixture screw and make sure its in good shape. The setting should be between 1 and 3 turns out from lightly closed. Good Luck! :cry: