Sign in to follow this  

CRF250 for me ! yes or no!

Right now i have a highly moded '02crf450, i am extreemly pleased with it but i seem to be riding more and more tight technicle trails and the good old 450 just seems to be a bit much ( power and wieght ) for me for long periods of time.

I am very much considering getting a crf250r but i am concerned that it wont be enough power for me ( 6'2", 235 pounds ) and my riding style is to ride up to some obsticles and then gun it over or through whatever is there.

If i where to get a crf250 what recomended mods would you suggest for me to help the bike in offroad situations with a big guy on board ( besides suspension and the normal off road mods! )?

Also i don't want an x! I want the snap and light wieght of the f and i would more than likely put a z-start on it!

thanks for the suggestions! :cry:

There isn't as much action in here like the 450 forum.

I can't help you on the weight issue because I only weigh 150#. I think this bike would be the perfect woods ride with a Z-Start and properly valved suspension.

I also have an 02 CRF450 and thinking of getting an 05CRF250 for your reasons, im starting to do tight technical stuff. With the 450 you ride the clutch and never get out of 1st gear. I suppose with the 250 it will be better for the trails? My question would be how is the CRF250 do on hills? Will you be double clutching it or is it smooth like the 450. im 6'1 220 lbs by he way.

I don't feel at a disadvantage at all on my 250 compared to the 450, it climbs technical hills just as well as the 450. For serious off-road riding there is nothing better than a Z-Start auto-clutch.

The 450 with the Z-Start works great in the woods but the 250 shines in the corners. The weight difference is very noticable.

Get used to shifting more and holding the throttle open more. It won't have near the torque, but makes enough power when you rev the 250F. The reduced weight is worth it for woods riding, less tiring and lots of fun. There isn't much snap compared to a 450 or a 2-stroke.

Really, you should consider the 250EXC and 300EXC too, considering your weight and height. The CRF250R is smaller and I've added bar risers and offset pegs to make it fit better (6'2" and 185#).

With valving and minor mods for off-road, I give the CRF250R a --Yes! :cry:

James

Vtec:

where you at in Oregon? You close enough to head up north a bit towards Olympia, or Belfair? You can ride my X.

We are about the same size and my suspension etc is set up for our weights.

Free ride, let your butt be your judge.

Dont sell out the X on paper/stats alone.

If you are riding single track like we have in the Pac NW, the R (with some work) or the X is honestly hard to beat.

Honda built the X for offroad = more flex in the frame and forks, completely different valving stacks front and rear etc = a much smother ride honestly than you can get with an R, even with a bucket of money.

Some people care, some dont.

Some still prefer an MX bike converted, you know the drill.

The X weighs a touch more than the R, but honestly you really cant feel it once under way. They carry their weight low and it shows when you ride.

Again, if you want, you can ride mine if you are in the area and see what you think. But even for our size, 250f is plenty and the grins, plentiful!

:cry:

HR

Hey Sonic, did you say you never get out of first gear on your 450? Try gearing it lower, also the EXC is a great slow speed bike.

HR! You the man! I hardly ever make it up that way but i do appreciate the offer very much, i am sure i will have already made my decision before i venture up into the olympia area!

I was so pumped for honda to build a 450x but so bummed when i saw the dry weight. I really would like to buy a bike that is woods ready and not bust the bank once again converting an mx bike but i want something light with good power.

I ride with my best friend about 98% of the time and he has a wr450. the bike works great but there have been a few times when it's been stuck someplace and boy can i feel the weight difference between his bike and mine.

The ktm 300exc is on my bike wish list but i really hate to go back to a 2 smoke. I am also looking at the crf250 model for other people! I have friends that i want to come ride with me but they can't afford a bike, the 250f would allow me to try out the smaller better handling bike while still keeping my '02 450. I have had a couple of friends try out my 450 and it's just to much bike for there skill level. Maybe i will look over the 250x's specs again and change my mind? :cry: then again maybe not!

Most post i have read people seem to think that the 250f is a much better bike in the woods than my 450. I know that the best woods bikes are the ktm200exc and the kdx200/220 models, my friend with the kdx proves that to me on every single track trail we hit. I can be busting his but all day long but we hit a tight nasty trail and i just can't hang with him! Will a crf250r/x be able to compete with a kdx or a 200exc in the tight stuff. I know that my other buddies on bigger bikes will be able to waste me on the open trails but i like the tight gnarly stuff!

I don't know? Maybe i should just flip a coin! :cry:

I would love to have a 300EXC as a wood only bike. I sometimes go with groups where everyone is on some EXC and think that I could pass these guys on a EXC. On a MX track though these guys just watch while I have all the fun.