Sign in to follow this  

Dam this sucks...

Well I was getting reading for a dirt riding weekend last night. I had just powerwashed my DRZ and decided NOT to run it up and down the street a few times to help dry her out. Well until some of my neighbors walked by and I decided to "impress" them...

So I fired her up and ripped up the street a few houses and then back down, when right in front of my house I applied the front break too hard and tossed my DRZ, and myself, down the road. I should known better but I guess the semi wet tire and the quikly drying brakes did me in.

After the tumbeling and scraping stopped (The last tumble I actaully landed on my feet! Sure wish I had that video!) I ran back and picked my DRZ up but immediantly noticed a significant bend in my left arm where there didnt used to be one. So by then my wife and kids were looking out front door so I told her to come out and grab the bike as my arm was broke. So I put the bike in gear so they could roll it and went inside to lay on the couch to examine my scraped knees, forearm, palm etc.

I only had on jeans, t-shirt and tennis shoes so it could have been much, much worse. The fact that I didnt slam my head or scape my face on the concrete makes me feel at least somewhat lucky...

Well I'm sure I really did impress my neighbors but not in the way I wanted. I don't know what's worse; the injuries or just feeling stupid.

So just remember that what may seem like a little safe checkout ride could in fact be enough to kill you so think twice about not needing to take the time to put on that helmet, gloves etc.

I sure will. :cry:

good story there and one that should be well headed to, thanks for being "man" enough to admit what a fool you were :cry:

it did make me chuckle tho :cry: :cry:

damn - sorry to hear that. like you said - at least there were no head injuries. Next time I am sure you will at least always wear your helmet :cry:

so - how is the arm doing????

Yup dumb, dumb, dumb. I cant tell you how many times I woke up last night hoping it was just a bad dream. But a few pounds of cast and a bunch of pain reminded me that I did in fact screw up.

My arm hurts and is in a temporay cast until an othepedic surgeon looks at it Monday. We're hoping it won't require surgery...

The bike just has the usual scrapes and doesnt seem to have anything major wrong.

Thanks for your input as it does seem help to talk with other dirt riders about it.

that really sucks :cry:

the worst get-off i've had was a "test ride" in a field down the street from the house. 14 years old, no helmet of course. pulled a nice 3rd gear wheelie, looped it, ground half my face and back into hamburger. all of that for "just a quick trip down the road, what's really going to happen?"

get well soon! :cry:

glad to see you came out of that spill mostly intact, it could have been alot worse. i ride street as well as dirt, and can't count how many times i have seen guy's egos getting them into trouble on the street. i too get the urge to horse around the block on the dirtbike, but bite my tongue, and hesitate, for i have an impressionable 11 yr old who rides. i have to set an example for him. your wounds and ego will heal in time. ride safely.....ROGER :cry:

By any chance did you actually say:

"Hey, watch this"

prior to your get off? Or were you just thinking it?

:cry:

Hope you heal fast :cry:

:cry: any chance you have a mullet :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p;) ;) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cry: any chance you have a mullet :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: :p;) ;) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i don't think fish will be big on his mind :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cry: any chance you have a mullet :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::cry::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i don't think fish will be big on his mind :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys from the UK really need to learn to speak english :lol:

A mullet over here is also a hair style big, and I do mean big, among the rednecks :lol:

:p;) ;) What are the chances you know what a redneck is? :cry: :cry: :cry:

No, actually I used to have long hair, long ago (I'm 39) but its real short now and I'm a co-owner/founder of a small medical ultrasound company. Sorry to burst your impression of me.... :cry::cry:

Bummer, Sorry to hear about your arm.

You didn't let the cast get in the way of riding today did you? :cry:

I was wearing full gear and I broke my arm (elbow) about 12 weeks ago, it still hurts sometimes. I was riding within 2 weeks. Hopefully you won't need surgery.

Remember ATGATT

all the gear all the time

When I was a kid, I did a wheelie on my XL100 to "impress" my neighbor. Unfortunately, the bike started to veer left. I went off the street and ate it right in my neighbor's front yard. While the bike and my body where uninjured, I tore a big hunk of sod out of their immaculate front yard. My neighbor was way into their lawn care routine :cry: That was pretty embarrassing, but at least I was only 12 years old at the time :cry:

Hope you heal fast. Everybody has a lapse in judgement now and then :cry:

Every one that rode for a long time has done something similar. I know it sucks I hope you heal quickly and aren't in to much pain. I'll never forget riding up to a stopsign. I was on my chopped Harley back in 79. Kicked out on the highway pegs of course. Remember bellbottoms? Well I went to put my foot down and it hooked the peg. This pig weighs all of 790 pounds. It fell over just like that guy on Rowan & Martins Laugh In on the tricycle. I broke a mirror is all but the injury to the pride was unbearable. My buddies whole neighborhood was out front to see it. I went home after work and threw away every pair of bellbottoms I owned. I had a couple of pairs of originals and that all I wore from then on. Damn hippy britches anyways. prairiedawg :cry: :cry: :cry:

Get well soon Jimmy, sorry to hear about your brain fart get off. :cry:

Don't feel bad, when I was around 20 I had an RD400 and wanted to impress some fine looking ladies by pulling an awesome wheelie. Well I did, the rear wheel hit a DEEP pothole and the front end slapped down sending me over the bars (drag bars) and onto my head and my shoulder (helmet on). At least my story had a happy ending, I got laid after the hospital got done with me!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Get well dude!! :cry: