Sign in to follow this  

Got a ? for your CRF230 guys.

I got a quick question. Today I went to my Honda dealer and sat on the CRF230. Looks like I might be getting that as my next bike. The only thing was, it had an eletric start but no back-up kick start. So do you guys ever have problems having the eletric start not work? Becauuse i would feel much better on the trail having a back-up kick start just incase.

:cheers:Thanks.

I've let it sit for a month, with the key on, and it started easily.

Never used a battery tender, and never had any problems. The sucker is easy to bump start if you have trouble, anyway.

I have to use a battery tender the night before (or 4 hours prior to riding) after it sits more than 2 weeks. But, on the trails ... I've not yet had any problems witht he e-start in the least. So far, this thing is bullet proof! Won't ever do without e-start from now on! :cry:

Never had a problem - the e-start is great :cry: Worse case you can always bump start it :cry:

Last week I had trouble with my DRZ-400E. I had an electrical short that kept blowing the fuse, so the electric start wouldn't work. A kick starter would have been very nice, but that is only day I have needed it many years of riding. The electrical problem was caused by a sloppy mod done by the previous owner.

We had to push start the bike many times on that day. It was a nuesance, but we managed okay. We got pretty good at push starting by the end of the day. I also carry a tow rope. We had to tow it once up a hill to an open area where we could push start it.

I haven't had any problems with my crf230s. They have worked perfectly!

Had my bike almost 2 full years now. I've never charged the battery yet, and the bike has always cranked without fail. I have been informed that Honda beefed up the tranny in the CRF230 over the XR200. To do this, the kickstarter gears were removed to widen the transmission gears for more strength.(so I'm told) I have not done a direct comparison, but did look into possibly doing what you mentioned in having a kick starter back-up. My Honda Tech informed me of the bad news. I did add the necessary parts to my former DRZ400 though...... Had the same concerns with it. Never had the battery or e-start fail on it either......Owned two years.

I always start up the bike every week or so just to keep the battery tender and it's good every once in a while for the engine... :cry:

My neighbor has had the bike for almost 2 years and has never had a problem with the starter.