Changing the Engine Oil -- socket size for drain plug?

I'm all setup to change my oil for the first time after 2 rides ... and notice that the drain plug is too large for my regular sockets. Does anyone know the specific size I need for a socket for this plug? MUCH cheaper to buy ONE socket than an entire xtra large set. ?

Its a 15/16 ? changed my oil last sunday!

Umm, no.. Sorry, but there are no SAE sizes on your bike, unless you added them with after market parts.

And no,, regardless of what somebody may have told you.. SAE tools on Metric fasteners are not "close" or "good" enough. Especially so when the fastener is made of aluminum.

Do not take short cuts, with tools and things mechanical,, it most often leads to damaged tools, parts, or busted knuckles.

Its a 15/16 ? changed my oil last sunday!

Umm, no.. Sorry, but there are no SAE sizes on your bike, unless you added them with after market parts.

And no,, regardless of what somebody may have told you.. SAE tools on Metric fasteners are not "close" or "good" enough. Especially so when the fastener is made of aluminum.

Do not take short cuts, with tools and things mechanical,, it most often leads to damaged tools, parts, or busted knuckles.

Fits perfectly on mine... are we taling about the attachment to the wrench or the wrench itself? ?

NOOO NOOOO AND NO..... 15/16 does not fit on a 24mm for high torque situations, I tried that and my oil drain bolt now has a big ol chip missing outa it, and like bronco said i got sum bloddy knuckles. I advise anyone to just go buy a 24mm socket, cause' if you ever need to adjust the chain or take off the tire you need a 24mm socket and that puppy is high torque and 15/16 will strip it out. ?

IMO using the correct metric size socket is the best way to go.

If you are only going to buy the size of socket that you need for each task, bite the bullet and get a good quality one.

Even the (correct size) cheaper import sockets can stretch in only one use, and ruin fasteners quicker than using a good quality SAE that is a "close fit".

BTW the oil screen cap only needs to be tightened to about 10 foot pounds which is not a very high torque, so if you are not using a torque wrench go easy. You are tensioning aluminum to aluminum with very fine threads and only need to compress the o-ring to get a good seal.

On the other hand rear axle nut should be tightened to around 70 foot pounds which is a much higher torque.....Karl

Fits perfectly on mine... are we taling about the attachment to the wrench or the wrench itself? ?

Neither, we were talking about a socket on a hex head fastener....but the same principals apply for a closed end wrench on that same fastener. And no,, that 15/16 sae socket does not fit correctly on that 24mm hex head fastener.

I could go on for at least two pages, showing pictures and such, of how an open end wrench, closed end wrench, 6 or 12 point, or socket interact with the hex head of the fastener.. But I won’t.

You do what you want...each person who hears a piece of advice does one of three things.

Accepts it

Denies it

Listens to it, and changes it to fit their needs.

I've given my opinion, based on 30 years of turning wrenches, in my shop, in a shop run for commercial purposes, and in the army for the last 19 years.. I seem to have a tool or two in my own garage at my disposal.. So I choose the best tool for the job.. and that means metric sized tools on metric sized fasteners.. You do what you feel is best for you ?

so i should go out and buy a 24mm attachment instead? ?

Attachment?

Just to be clear

This is a ratchet

34531.JPG

This is a socket

20585.JPG

Not sure what your calling an attachment ? Mu guess is the socket ?

But what ever your calling the tool the fits on the hexhead of the oil drain plug,, YES it should be a 24mm size ?

torque wrench..... IS THis also known as a rachet.... iam confused

Some torque wrenches have a rachet built into the head of them but no, a torque wrench is a device that measures how much pressure or tension is being applied to the fastener so that you don't stip or stretch the threads or not get it tight enough. If you check your service manual you will find that there are torque specs for most every nut and bolt on your bike.....Karl

• 2 months later...