Sign in to follow this  

chest protectors and bruises...

Ok ladies, I was wondering, is it just me that ends up with these kinds of bruises on their hips after taking a big wipe? This is from this morning (and it isn't even 'ripe' yet, I expect it'll get much more colorful in a day!)

hipcheck2.jpg

I wipe out on my shoulder, the chest protector digs into my flesh right above my hip bone... this happens CONSTANTLY, I'm scarred equally bad on the other hip. I THINK my chest protector fits 'normally', and its supposedly cut for women (Acerbis fusion), & I'm pretty normal waisted, but I'm 'hippy', smaller through the top than the bottom, and I'm wondering if this is the problem? Or just that I flex a lot when I hit the ground?

I'm ready to throw the dang thing away.... :cry: Any thoughts/suggestions?

(Oh, on the plus side, I took the hit on the broken collarbone side... and it held up fine! :cry:)

edit - here's day 2 for your viewing pleasure...:

bruiseday2.jpg

Excuse me, I think I'm in the wrong room :cry:

But there's little activity, so I'll comment. You are one tough bird, but ya shouldn't have to go through so much discomfort to prove it. No, this is not the norm with ladies or gents. Gotta be how the protector fits "you" or how you have it adjusted & positioned. All chest protectors do not fit the same..., I forget the brands, but there are some I think that even offer different sizes: sm., med., lg.

And some have more padding around the polycarbonite edges than others too. The edges are what usually does any digging into your body.

Do you wear a kidney belt?? It not only helps to support your torso, but is a little more padding in the hip & kidney area. Any thoughts?

SSR :cry:

Jeez thats nasty looking :cry: You have some bragging material for a few weeks! :cry:

I know some of my buddies that get sorta bruised from their chest protectors, but Iv never seen anything like that from a peice of safety gear though...

Not sure about the ladies chest protectors as I dont ride with any :cry:

Just do what I do: be too poor to afford anything but a helmet and gloves :cry:

Later,

Dan

Can't tell from the pic but I'll assume the bruise is on your backside...

I've also noticed that my wife's protector seems REAL long in the back. Someone mentioned that they cut theirs down some and I've been thinking about doing that.

MORE INFO PLEASE!

Can't tell from the pic but I'll assume the bruise is on your backside...

I've also noticed that my wife's protector seems REAL long in the back. Someone mentioned that they cut theirs down some and I've been thinking about doing that.

MORE INFO PLEASE!

Actually, this bruise is right along the top crest of my hip bone, in front and wraps around the side... any more to the middle and I could've lost an ovary! :cry: And its getting prettier by the minute! (Should look good with a skirt tonight! :lol:)

Ok, I'm starting to think maybe this isn't normal... :cry: I do have a kidney belt but rarely wear it, just because its one more piece of bulk (I wear EVERYTHING else, and it just seems like so much sometimes!) Plus the one I have is more for lifting than riding, maybe I'll take a look at the ones specifically for riding when I'm looking for a new chest protector! :cry: :cry: :cry::lol: When I can afford it, that is... I may go Dan's route for a while, just go without!

HMM, We're about to suit up for a ride, I'll check her out :cry:

At the same time, she doesn't ride fast enough or beyond her abilities for nasty wipeouts...So don't judge abnormal from us!

definitely NOT NORMAL

ever thougth about a soft protector? I am pretty happy with my Axo-plus-shoulderparts, did hit some trees with my wide shoulders today, even the zip-ties held (yes, Dirtslinger, my provisory will stay forever)

if your deflector digs in above the hipbone ...

maybe you wear it to tight

or held it in with your arm?

could it get cought in the waistband of your pants?

the elastic bands should allow it to move out and down when you bend foreward

if you can not find out why it bruises you just dump it!

that is NOT right. dump that piece of junk and figure a new riding gear set up. NICE skin though :cry:

YUP not normal, but when looking at Cathy's I think it would help a lot to trim those "wings" at the bottom. Then as I recall another member doing, take some rubber tubing, like from a autoparts store, slice it lengthwise and then attach it to the bottom edge for more padding... I believe he used black zipties.

Hope this helps... :cry:

DJ,

I'm starting to think you Definately want my job (CTD). :cry:

sorry you got an owchie, but glad you had fun :cry: :cry:

This give me an idea for another post... :cry:

L2F, do you have the hip pads in your pants still? Seems like alot of gals take them out.

I bruise really easily and the inside of my knee is rarely not black and blue after a tough (for me) ride.

I have never had that happen to me with my chest protector. I'm trying to imagine what exactly on the chest protector could do that and in that place on your body?

If it causes you that much damaged I would definetly look for something else! I have the Lady Fusion but I have broad shoulders and I am over 5'7" and mine fits very well and I have no problems with injuries because of it!

Glad your collarbone didn't cause any problems for you! :cry:

Soft protector? What is the name, & where can I find it? Is that what wolf is talking about in his post, the 'body armor' you wear under your clothes?? :cry: Something I should look into...

The protector isn't too tight, I don't think... I've got free movement, and if it was any bigger it would be shifting all around. I'm not real big or busty. Landing on my arm is a possibility... but I think its more that I tend to land on my shoulder or chest (going over the bars seems to be my favorite activity lately) and then the force pushes the protector down, into the area right above the hip bone... I've always had a great 'shelf' there, you know, like a place to balance a box or babies with one arm... now its hanging up the protector. I also am really flexible in my spine (hypermobile, really, if you measure my flexion & lateral flexion) so I just 'crumple' when I hit, and that could be contributing...

I'm thinking I'll give it the chest protector a rest for a little while... maybe check into your soft option!

I've also noticed, the pro riders, when they wear them, seem to have really SMALL roost protectors, just after thoughts really to stop things wacking them in the middle of the chest, and thats about it. Does anyone know what manufacturer makes these smaller protectors?

L2F, I had a huge bruise on my hip when I crashed in July. I think it was more from the pants. I had guy pants on at the time. I wear the O'Neal womens pants now and they seem to protect the hips a little better.

I was wearing a 661 Roost Guard... Not recommended for women that are larger than a B. I had scratches all over my back from the chest protector moving.

On the soft guards virtually every company makes one. Go to several shops and try them on.. If I remember right, the Thor was pretty good, Fox had one that was pretty good, and and a couple others. I did not like 661's versions of them.

Soft protector? What is the name, & where can I find it?

found mine on ebay, had a Thor shattershield before and used it's shoulder parts, any other will do

panzer0003.jpg

panzer0002.jpg

no I do not ride in jeans and t, had no pic

L2f,

Some folks are just too cool to wear all the protective gear. (Not that I'm saying you are too cool!) Good quality hip pads and especially elbow/knee guards will prevent relatively minor falls from becoming a shattering experience. I have Thor Racing hip pads that are waffled rubber. They really work. We've tested them... I’ve fallen so hard on the elbow pads that the entire area bruised. I would have likely shattered or at least really torn up the flesh had I not been “protected.” Instead, I got up and rode 40 more miles.

RH

Soft protector? What is the name, & where can I find it?

found mine on ebay, had a Thor shattershield before and used it's shoulder parts, any other will do

panzer0003.jpg

panzer0002.jpg

no I do not ride in jeans and t, had no pic

Omigosh, thats PERFECT, I want one!! Are these the ones that are typically sold as 'under the jersey' protectors? They look awfully similar...

Excellent!

That and maybe hip protectors... :cry: Already got the knee/elbow protectors, AND the 661 neck guard... I'll be indestructable! :cry: (Yeah, right!)

:cry:

Thats weird, L2F. I have taken quite a few spills and never bruised my hip because of my chest protector. :cry: Check out this site.

http://www.skeletools.com/products.html

This is another company that makes the soft impact gear, like Fiep showed you. I have heard this stuff is top notch. FYI, Six-in-one also makes this style of chest protectors.

Good Luck. :cry: