new to SM

Well after starting out on dirtbikes, riding sportbikes for 15+ years ( bikes I've been on are: various VFR's, GSXR600 and 750LTD, R6, and a 750 Paso just to name a few), returning to dirtbikes I've now become HOOKED on SM. ? I'm now looking at racing SM for fun. ? One question is would my Trailwings (off the bike right now) work fine for starting out with ?, and how hard is it to swap back and forth from 17" wheels back to stock for when I ride with my son off road. I know they have a sportsman class but even they seem to have road tires on the bike. Any suggestions to getting started would be greatly appreciated, thanks ?

My suggestion is you read SuperMoto Racer Magazine.

I have a few friends that switch their bikes back when they moto or ride off-road.

The best way to get into supermoto is to find a set of 17s first. Either hook up with one of the wheel experts or possibly hunt EBay for someone moving up to 5-inch rear and 16.5 front. As for brakes - you can get your feet wet and keep the cost down by just getting what they call a street supermoto kit. This is a 320mm rotor with a caliper relocator. Again - you might be able to find a used one.

This way it is easy to switch back and fourth.

The danger is that you will soon be hooked on supermoto and will end up wanted better brakes and a dedicated bike.

As for suspension, just stiffen compression and slow the rebound down a lot to start out.

If you have any other questions just ask - we are listing

www.supermotoracer.com

and how hard is it to swap back and forth from 17" wheels back to stock for when I ride with my son off road.

I have a DRZS too and I swap back and forth between 17's and dirt wheels - it only takes about 45 minutes...2 beer job. I change wheels, front brake, bodywork, remove/install fork brace, swap chains, etc. After you do it a few times, it gets faster and easier.