Sign in to follow this  

Any of you DRZrs own a ZX10R or ZZR1200

I'm torn between the two, yes I know they are way different. My needs are for fun 8 miles to work and a nice twisty ever once and a while, I wont be racing kids (I'm 48), been thru the Harley phase. Might like to put my wife on the back every once and a while (she is skinny) any thoughts?

If you're looking for relaxing riding and possibly taking the wife avoid the ZX-10. The 10 is built to be very light and VERY FAST. They did this by making the bike pretty small for a liter bike, try and sit on one, it's torture. To take the class in power output it's been said over an over again they sacrificed linear power delivery for outright top end. Not something I'd consider fun for short sport jaunts and definately not with a passenger. If you consider a ZZR1200 I'd recommend you take a quick look at a Hayabusa, similar size, more power, and I believe the resale would be better if you decide sport biking isn't in the cards. If you want more sport look for something with a smoother power band. I've Ridden both last years model GSXR-1000 and the CBR-1000RR both have sweet power delivery that is deciving but both kill my upper sholders and wrist with the riding position. I haven't had a chance to ride a new R1 but have sat on one quite a few times (pondering the possibility) and it is the most comfortable liter bike I've ever sat on. Anyway, hope this helps. Sorry I haven't ridden either of the bikes you have listed, everyone I know rides Suzuki or Honda :cry:

I was in the same boat as you about 3 years ago. I ended up with the ZZR1100 for alot of reasons and most of them you have listed! I take my wife on the ZZR every other week, (The week I'm not playing in the bush!) I think for versatility it is the DRZ of the road. It has got more power than you could ever want but not that rip off your arms stuff like the R1 and the like. It is a little heavier but I still manage to keep up with most bikes on our local mountain! I have ridden a mates 03 1200 and it is just a much smoother more powerful ride then my 1100. Great on a long trip with a lambswool seat cover as well.

I also want to stay alive for my family and an R1 or something like that just wants to be ridden hard and fast. I say go for the ZZR. You will never regret it!

Besty

the answer is a yamaha fz1 in black/grey. It has a r1 motor tuned for torque and most important it has an upright seating position. Or perhaps an 05 triumph speed tripple w/120 hp,or a tuono,or a zzr1100... :cry:

ZX10? Mid life crisis kicking in eh? :cry: I have been riding sport bikes for 26 years and I would avoid the ZX10. The thing is a raging beast and it scares the crap outta me. As Dirty Harry said, "a man has gotta know his limitations."

None of the new liter bikes are suitable for passenger duty. The Kawasaki in particular is as close to a full on superbike as I think will be unleashed on public roads. I thought we had reached a high point before, but this time I really think we have.

My list of bikes to consider:

Yamaha FJR1300. These are incredible bikes. The magazines drool over them. Powerful, comfy and nice looking. They handle well for a saddlebag wearing tourer and make 130 hp. Enough to haul you and the missus effortlessly up that big hill in the plains with a 50 mph headwind. Perhaps too big a hammer to jump onto and ride to work 8 miles every day though.

Yamaha FZ-1

If you want to ride to work and take the Mrs. for an occasional ride, these are nice. Comfortable, fast and inexpensive. I like the black engine/framed models, they look cool. The FZ actually comes stock with a handlebar position that is too high. A popular mod is to put in an accessory clamp from Yamaha that lowers them. This is good, as the FZ is a sport bike that does not fold you up like a paper clip. They can be ridden hard and far. I think I see an FZ in my future someday. This is a bike you can jump on and ride 8 miles to work, or 1,800 miles on sport tour with soft luggage.

Suzuki V-Strom

Unloved and cheap. Put a set of pipes on it and the Suzuki L-Twin makes some of the coolest sounds in motorcycling. Plenty of low and mid range power from a character rich 90 degree V-Twin (add pipes!), but the Strom is an ugly duck. The Strom is comfy and works great and you can even do a bit of exploring on graded fire roads. I have a friend who has one, I was quite impressed with it. It is an easy bike to jump on, push the button and jet off to work on, or go cross country on. It even carves corners pretty good. I did 100 mph around a rolling bend on Mt. Emma Road in SoCal on my buddy's new Strom (breaking it in right!) and it felt fine. Stock gearing is stupid tall though. Plan on a sprocket swap. It does good wheelies too. :cry:

You are simply not old enough yet for a BMW, so just don't even think about it :cry:

Well, I may be able to shed some light: I have an 04 ZX10, an 03 KLX400, and an 89 ZX10 - the literal and spiritual predecessor to the ZZR1200. And, I am 44 years old. The new 10 is an awesome bike. I don't find it as uncomfortable as some here are suggesting - that being said, it is a bike for going out and doing shorter blasts. I have no problem doing 250 miles a day on it, but not in one stretch. The power is intoxicating, the handling amazing. I absolutely LOVE the top end rush - unbelievable. My biggest issue is that when I am on it, I go absolutely berserk - I'm a calm, cool, mild-mannered guy, but when I get on the 10R I lose it, I snap - hard accel, wheelies, 300+ kmh wfo runs, hammer the corners. I just end up doing things I would never even consider until I got this bike. When I get off the bike I feel relieved. People ask "Why, is it uncomfortable?" I say "No, I didn't get arrested!" It messes with my mind. And, as an upside, my wife will NOT go on it! Everthing about the 10R is explosive and instant - it does everything hard, and it does it NOW! Accel - explosive and instant - it goes NOW when you whack it open. Decel - instant and hard. Turns - flick it NOW. Wheelies - NOW. Not for fools, though it may make you one!

My 89 ZX10, on the other hand, is like an old friend, a psychotherapist. I can go fast, but sanely. It's comfortable, got a great fairing, my wife will go on it. AS far as I'm concerned, it handles well - I've been to Deal's Gap many times, drag parts, but I've never been passed in 10 years going there. I can hop on and ride all day to the twisties, and still have fun in the twisties. It's really fun on the Gap passing guys on new sport bikes while 2-up on an old 89 ZX10!!! 2 weekends ago I took a short trip - just had to ride - you now the itch. So,up b4 dawn, pulled the old 10 out, rode 400 miles in 8 hours, home by 1pm. Had a blast, as my kind of riding really is to go far and fast, all day. Would I even consider the new 10R - no way. I've ridden the old bike from here to Ashville, NC, Knoxville, TN, from Salisbury NC home, all 1-day rides. Can't do that on the new one, and for the street, the old one handles just fine. Everyting is more relaxed - accel, braking, turning, even wheelies (yes, it will do them). Not lazy, but not lightning quick like the 10R. Probably the biggest differnce in the 2 bikes is braking, and that's a big difference. Shouldn't be a problem on the ZZR, though.

I am currently considering trading the 10R for a ZZR1200. While the 10R is a phenomenal bike, it's really not me. I have the satisfaction of finally having a cutting-edge sportbike, it's a blast, but I've come to the conclusion, that I knew all along, that I'm a big-bore GT bike kind of guy. And where I live, there aren't any corners anyway.

I like Kawis, and having had the 89 ZX10, of which the ZZR12 is a heavily updated model, I might get the ZZR - really like my 89 that much!!

I've ridden a V-Strom - hated it. Seating position too upright, tailbone hurting after 20 minutes, not enuf oomph - nice torque-wheelies out of some corners, though. I thought I wanted the FZ1, but I like the full fairings (OK, I'm lazy - easier to wash, and I just like the looks better), seating postion not aggressive enuf, perched on top a bit, whereas ZZR sitting more "in" it. Great bike, just not for me. Hayabusa? WAY too ugly for me (to each his own), but again, it has a status of being the best at something - speed, so I would therefore be testing it at every opportunity. The ZZR would allow my to cruise, quickly, handle excellently for the street, and just enjoy the ride.

Not sure that helps, but it's another perspective at least.

Jammer's post beautifully illustrates the main issue that keeps me away from the ZX10. There is not a human on the planet that has the self control to resist acting like a complete lunatic on that bike - insane speed, wheelies, etc are just so easy and accessible.

That and it still scares the crap outta me :cry:

Thanks guys

I might go look at the ZX12R today, I hear that is a beast but more inbetween the ZZR1200 and the ZX10. I agree what you guys are saying, I used to have a VMAX damm fast on the straight away but look out for any corners! And it made me driver faster than I should. The ZX10 does not feel right for my 6'2" height, ZZR1200 is comfy but I do have a wicked mountain rode here, actually quite a few.

the CBR1000 seems interesting but still a racer to me I think. I'll sit on the ZX12R but it might be the ZZR1200 that is the answer. :cry:

I had a Honda CBR1100 Blackbird for a while. Awesome bike and you could tour all day on it. It's got a reputation for its high speed but there are a lot of people who do serious mileage on them, too.

I sold mine because I got into trackdays and thought it might be too much taking a 230kg bike onto the racetrack. I swapped it for a GSX-R600 but I've missed it badly ever since.

I saw 186 mph just once, very late at night on a straight section of road. Don't try it - it's silly!

Ian

Jammer's post beautifully illustrates the main issue that keeps me away from the ZX10. There is not a human on the planet that has the self control to resist acting like a complete lunatic on that bike - insane speed, wheelies, etc are just so easy and accessible.

That and it still scares the crap outta me :cry:

Another thing not mentioned so far is the fun factor. I sold the 'Busa because at anything like legal speeds it felt as if I was going slow. I mean really slow like get off and walk even if the speedo says 65 mph. Sure the bike was a hoot after you passed 100 mph, but then I was always tense looking for cops which sometimes came true. I even got a break once when I was caught at 'reckless driving' speeds, but only got a cite for about 90 mph in a 55 zone.

I'd really like to have an R1 or a Gixxer or the ZX10 04 in my garage, but I can't stand using it like I would. As far as running those class of bikes at legal speeds, heck, get a scooter instead.

Unless the OP is stuck away from Yam, I suggest looking at the FZ1 too.

I rode a friend's Busa for about 25 miles in the sweeping twisty roads of SoCal. It had it's FI tweaked via Power Commander to suit it's Akro pipe and was otherwise stock. It put out 162.5 horsepower and 95 (or something like that) foot pounds of torque.

I expected it to have ungodly top end power and of course it did. On a long straight (after checking for cops of course) out in the desert, I was shocked when it snapped my head back and pulled HARD from an effortless cruising speed of 140 mph. It felt about like what my TL1000S would feel like in the powerband and accelerating from 90 mph or so.

The thing that really blew me away was the low end torque. Roll it on at 3,500 rpm and the thing would growl and pull relentlessly and gathering acceleration like a jet on takeoff. Truly an awe inspiring ride, but just too damn much.

I rather like my 1,000cc sport twin. It sounds cool and it's speed envelope bears a closer semblance to reality for real use on public roads.

The ZZR/FJR sound like Mr. Suhr's kinda bikes. He is used to handling Harleys and wrestling with DRZs off road after all, so one of those bikes will feel like a lightweight to him :cry: