Sign in to follow this  

Just rode a new 05crf250r/ride report

I was out at Star West today and ran into an old friend that had a brand new 05crf250r and of course I persuaded him to let me ride it. I currently ride an 03yz250f and am a seasoned vet intermediate. I am not partial to any brand, and will ride what I believe is the best bike for me, so I am sure someone will take offense to this post, but I don't care, I call it how I see it. So here's my take in comparing the two. Motor wise, they are very close in power. I really doubt the difference in motor is going to make or break anyone in a race,(rider ability will) the power in other words is very good. It is very smooth revving and has good linear power from bottom to top. It is very predictable and the clutch lever pull is about half as stiff as my Yamaha(maybe even less).

The frame is very narrow, and the bike felt much lighter than my yammie, probably 5 or more pounds lighter is my guess. It felt like a 125 in comparison to my Yammie. Anyway, the seat and feel reminded me of my 03 honda 450f only smaller and much lighter. The suspension and overall handling is where this bike really shines to me. Although he had his suspension re-worked by Shock Therapy, my Yamaha was done there too, and even has sub-tanks. The Honda was so much better, it was SICK. I really am trying to contain myself here, but the Honda suspension was hands down superior. I didn't even want to ride my bike anymore after riding the Honda. The honda cornered beautifully too. It required very little effort carry through the ruts, while the Yamaha required the nuts on the gas cap just to keep it from crawling out of the ruts. In other words, the honda was much more forgiving. Jumping it was alot of fun too. The weight difference was very noticable in-flight, and it was much easier to throw around. That's it.

My overall experience was that Honda has a winner this year

and I would gladly sell my Yamaha to get one, except that I am holding out for the 05crf450 instead. (should be here middle of next week.) Erik

I just got an '04 CRF250R about a week ago. It's off the dealer floor (never ridden) and I got an awesome price break on it since the '05 is out now.

So why do I have the awful feeling in my gut that I should have held out for the '05? :cry:

i also rode a 05crf250 excpet i ride a 03 cr250. i love it and am selling my bike for one now. felt so smooth and easeir to go fast. i think i might already be faster on the crf250.

I feel the same way about the comparison between the CRF and YZF 250s. One of my riding buddies has an '04 YZ250F and it seems tall, wide, and top heavy in comparison. I can't believe how much yamaha put into the new YZs and left the YZFs with the same old chassis. Isn't it about 5 years old now?

I did my first ride on my 05 CRF. The power is very good, as are the brakes. The front forks are very plush, but I find the handling a little nervous for my liking. The shock is way too soft for my 200+ pounds but the fork feels pretty close as is. I have not touched the suspension settings yet and feel that with a stiffer shock spring and a little tweaking the bike should be just fine. The bike mags say that the bike is a bit finicky about the suspension setup, we shall see :cry:

I did my first ride on my 05 CRF. The power is very good, as are the brakes. The front forks are very plush, but I find the handling a little nervous for my liking. The shock is way too soft for my 200+ pounds but the fork feels pretty close as is. I have not touched the suspension settings yet and feel that with a stiffer shock spring and a little tweaking the bike should be just fine. The bike mags say that the bike is a bit finicky about the suspension setup, we shall see :cry:

Of course it is goin got be a little soft, it is setup stock for riders around 160 lbs or somewhere. get maybe some stiffer springs and mess with the clickers and it will be awesome

So why do I have the awful feeling in my gut that I should have held out for the '05? :cry:

Because every time the magazine does a test they make the bikes look like the best new piss ever, when they actually arent that different. Your 04 will just fine for you and you wont notice any real difference unless you are a factory rider. Dont worry! :cry:

Thats it. I am buying one today if my local dealer has one. My 450 will be converted to a open terrain high desert bike.

Your 04 will just fine for you and you wont notice any real difference unless you are a factory rider. Dont worry!

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm NOT a factory rider by any stretch of the imagination... just a middle-aged guy that likes to throw up some dirt from time to time.

mil_rider - if you want your bike to be just as good as or better than the 05' do these 3 things:

jd jet kit

1-2 teeth larger rear sprocket (added low end)

pipe (replace top-end lost with sprocket)

this is a killer setup for the 04! it's an awesome bike anyway - it's what got me back into riding after selling my CRF450R a year ago. but when you want to tinker - these are 3 gre3at mods! (do the jet kit first)

Rode both feels like the same bike I do not know were the 3lbs less is I read swingarm and wheels. If you can grab an 04 get it. The 05 crf450 is also lbs lighter with a new frame.

Does that make the 04 a fat outdated pig? Well I dobt it but they are going used for 4K! That means they are the best deal out in my book. RC seemed to like it! The crf250 feels smaller than my 03 crf450 so unless the 05 feels like the 250 then I'll be looking. by the way. I still can't understand why the Yammy has got such a black cloud over it. I rode an 03 with the suspension done back to back with a yammy 250f and the 450 felt just as light and handled great! I won't buy one because it is like a tatoo. You can't sell it!

my 2 cents

ive owned both 04-05 crf250-r they are almost identical , i might have liked the 04 better just because of the jetting , my 05 ive not got it down yet