Sign in to follow this  

VALVE REASSEMBLY HELP ASAP...scraping noise?!?!?!?

im putting the shim and buckets back in after doing my first valve adjustment. In the FAQ it says to put assembly lube on. Where exactly on the buckets do i put the assembly lube? I was thinking i would put it all over on both the inside and outside. is this good, bad, or a "cant hurt" type situation? Are there spots assembly lube can hurt? please answer asap as i am doing this right now. thanks

The assembly lube they recommend has molybdenum in it, and too much of that can be bad for your clutch. Just coat the top of the bucket lightly and the sides where it slips into the guides in the head. Put a little dab (wipe your finger on it) on top of each shim, and that should be good enough.

I would think under the bucket or any area not directly expossed to oil lubercation.

use a thin coat or it may affect the clearence readings, stroke the motor through a couple of times before you take a final reading and button everything up.

shoot, i put it on everything BUT the top of the bucket...o well i guess i gotta take the cap off again. Hey atleast i got the cam gears adjusted on the chain right. That was a PITA. thanks for the help guys. BTW, one more question. Would a clicker torque wrench with a 5-80 give me an accurate reading or no? i really cant find any torque wrenchs that have smaller ranges such as 5-20 or something like that. Well, i think i mighta seen on in sears but where i am right now theres no sears local. Just smaller franchises like pep boys and napa. thanks for the help.

You need to get a 1/4" torque wrench with inch pounds..

12" pounds = 1 foot pound.. so...

7.2 ft. lbs = 86 in. lbs.

PS. I put my valves back together and used assembly lube... no problems.. I guess if you squeezed the whole tube in there it might be a problem.. :cry:

you sure about the 12" being equal to 1 ft lb? I have a torque wrench with inches on it. But i didnt know how to convert. This makes things much easier. thanks

you sure about the 12" being equal to 1 ft lb? I have a torque wrench with inches on it. But i didnt know how to convert. This makes things much easier. thanks

hey i just realized something. When i checked the valve clearance, was i just supposed to check under those two rounded triangle things (i think there called lobes) at the end like in the pics (thats waht i did) or am i supposed to check between each bucket under the cam? I hope its not the latter because that means i have to go backtrack everything i did. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hey man, you're not pulling our legs are you? You gotta check the clearance between the cam lobe and the bucket, when the cam is NOT lifting the valve. Put the crank a TDC with with the lifting part of the cam lobes pointing outwards, then check those clearances.

>edit< Oh yeah, 12 in-lb definitely = 1 ft-lb.

yeah i know about the whole TDC thing. What i was saying is that there are three intake and two exhaust valves. If you notice in the pic in the FAQ and in the manual they show a feeler gauge on the end bucket. I wasnt sure if were just supposed to check the two end ones (exhaust and intake) or all five.

Either way, i check the clearances now and there all good... so that should mean im good right?

i have a more important question now. I put the tensioner on and the next step is to crank the engine a couple of times. Well i did that and the first few times at one point in the stroke i thought i heard a metal scraping metal noise. I then brought it to tdc and the cam marks are lined up too and then i rechecked my clearances on all five valves and they were perfect. I then gave it some quicker cranks and then after that i didnt hear the noise anymore no matter how slow i turn. Is something wrong or did it just take a couple of turns for everything to work in. This is my first time doing valves on this kinda engine. I did the valves on my raptor engine no problem...but that was adjustment, not shims. thakns for any info

btw, i cant really tell where the sound is coming from. It seems that if i crank it fast a couple of times and then slow it wont do it. But if i let it sit for a couple of minutes and then just crank it really slow, ill notice a slight noise.

This may be a stupid question but could it be something stupid like the piston isnt getting lubrication because it sits for two minutes but if i crank it fast then it gets some oil? it kinda seems like taht.

btw, im staying on so hopefully ill be able to reply back as soon as someone replies.

Is there any tests i can do to make sure everything is right? i mean, the scrape noise i hear might have even been there before and i didnt realize it. I have really good hearing and im checking really closely. Everything seems lined up nicely. Everything is torqued properly and everything is cycling smoothly. It seems to make that scraping noise as the out exhaust lobe makes contact with the bucket. Im not sure if the noise is coming from there but that just seems to be one of the "constants" thanks for any tips. Im prety sure i have this thing together but i just wanna be sure. btw, i DID lube everything. thanks

anothger constant i just figured out is when u crank it when its really loose, its right when it suddenly gets harder. Is thsi just the normal noise of the lobe coming into contact with the bucket?

i think im gonna continue puting everything back toghether. It not making the scraping nosie anymore and everything is lined up.

dumb question...But did you wind up your chain tensioner before you put it back in??

it is not suppose to be really tight..you have to wind it up with a screw diver install it and let it extend by its self..

He's right! If you put the tensioner in without winding it up it will be way too tight. Wind it up and release it once it's installed.

no, thats what i did. I followed the manual exactly. Would it be possibly that those cam cap clips didnt line up like i tought? The cap seemed to screw down pretty easily. HOw would i know if something was misaligned.

I just took it for a two minute ride around the block. Ran great. Hopefully, that means everythings ok right? or could a screw up take a while for the damage to be done?