Sign in to follow this  

XR250 Kickstarter hangs on frame

Not literally; but at times while riding on really bumpy stuff and landing on jumps the kickstart lever comes away from the engine and backwards. The tab on the lever (which looks like it was designed to prevent what I'm describing from happening) actually hangs on the backside of the down tube of the frame. It starts making a whirring noise like the kickstarter gear is lightly touching the starter gear. I have to reach down and lift the kickstart lever off of the down tube to get it back into place. Before I start fabricating a part to address this issue does anyone know of an after market part or fix that will address the problem?

My XR250R4 had the same problem. Friends told me that it was my boot position that was catching the kick starter. I checked the spline and it has a machined grove for the bolt, so moving it in will not help. What I did was to take off the kick starter and grind about 3/16" off the web that catches the frame. All is well now. Hope this helps.

I am going to try and add to this one before starting a new thread. My kickstarter has to be on just the right spline so it hits the frame when up. If not it makes the same gear to gear sound. It is a little lower than I would like. Any suggestions?