Headlight is on all the time, even with engine off.

The connectors for the acerbis light and the stock Husky wiring harness are not the same so I decided to connect the factory headlight for the time being. I just got everthing together and when I re-connected the battery, the headlight lit up. Glad to see I got everything connected just fine, but what do I do to get the light off until the bike is started?

Greg

Edit: I may have not made this clear. The headlight lights up when the bike is not running. As soon as I connected the harness, the light begins to glow. The only way to turn it off is to disconnect the battery or unplug the wires from the headlamp unit.

Are you sure about that? If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting I swap the two connections on the battery. I have heard doing that can cause it to blow up. If the terminals were reversed, I would think the thing wouldn't start and whoever tried connecting the terminals wrong would have gotten a face full of battery acid? The pics in the manual match the orientation of the battery so I think I am okay.

BTW, didn't someone here mention this had happened to them on their 250?

Greg

MSTEX,

The light is on when the engine is off. I'll try to troubleshoot tonight.

Greg

I saw this on an episode of this old house. What you need is some size 12 speaker wire.......and then.......oh nevermind.

Look back through the posts. We covered this about 12 months ago when the rest of us got our bikes. I remember something about swithing the blue and yellow wires, cause they were wrong from the factory.

Greg - I just wired mine up last week. If you used your stock plug, the lights should be running off the alternator, not the battery. (Unless the 450 is different) Sounds like you have a cross-over somewhere. Use a meter and check the lines off the plug to make sure you don't have a constant flow of juice. If I recall, the yellow is hot, but only when the bike is running.

In addition, I ran over to Radio Shack and bought a 4 dollar switch and ran the blue line through it for a nifty on-off switch. I mounted the switch onto one of the ears on the headlight. I can now run the "high beam" when I need it, and can conserve power when I don't need it. Which leads me to a question... 45 watts isn't exactly "high". Anyone know of a 65 that fits this bike? Kind of a wierd bulb....