Sign in to follow this  

Trail Tech Computer: have anything good to say ??

Was this close to ordering a Trail Tech computer for my Z400-S, until I read about the assorted problems other TT members have reported. Magnet, bolt, & cable problems. Other issues unsolvable, had to return the entire unit for replacement. Yea, I know, it happens to all hardware now & then...but I think if a product is genuinely good, ya shouldn't come across complaints so quickly.

Am I wrong in my "general" evaluation??

Should I be on the look out for an alternative model??

All comments welcomed.

thanks, SSR :cry:

I have the Trail Tech computer on my crf250X, my two crf230s, and my drz-400e. On one of the four installations I didn't drill the hole for the sensor in quite the right spot, so I had to glue on a magnet rather than use the bolt magnet. Other than that, all installations went fine. The installation instructions are fairly good, altough the instructions for using the computer are kind of difficult to figure out.

In general I have been very pleased with them. My only complaint is that they go bizirk for a while if you get them very wet (rain hasn't been a problem, but washing has), and the screen scratches easily. If you wipe the dust off with your gloves you will scratch the screen.

But even with those two minor complaints, I really like having them on the bikes. My kids enjoy checking their max and average speeds on every ride. I use it a lot for route finding.

Hi FamilyRider & thanks for the reply.

Your news is somewhat reassuring. They're very compact, clean, and on paper...do just what we need. If I recall, they're not terribly expensive either, like some top of the line enduro computers (like $300.)

I definately need something since taking off the stock behemoth, which is just a little smaller than my laptop :cry:

Thanks for the support FR. I'll probably give it a try.

SSR :cry:

:cool:theyre fine just remember to remove them in rain or during power washing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!also mount your sensor in a way that that the magnet doesnt track dead center ,the sensor does not like this, trust me on this.then check it with a gps in your lap.there cheap and reliable if you follow these guidelines,and tt sells a bitchen bracket :cry:

I've been using one for about 4 years now, It's been transferred to 3 different bikes and has always worked perfect. Well, except the head on with the big maple tree, then it shattered. But I emailed the company to see if they had any old cases I could use and they sent me a whole new unit free of charge. Well, it wasn't a brand new one, it was a return for an upgrade but still I thought that was awesome service.

I also bought one off of Ebay once for $19. Wasn't motorcycle specific but was able to use the sender from my Gas Gas. I now have that one and the GG sender on my Honda. I would buy another one. :cry: :cry:

Yeah, I loved mine, but after semi-high pressure washing and being drenched in simple green a couple times a week it gave out. Broke the water seal, and the warranty was over. They have great service, they've sent me two sets of mounting hardware and cables for free (One shorted out after sitting all winter, and the other I fell and broke). I'm getting another one :cry:

I have one on my 450, Never had a problem with it all. Works great and the mileage is accurate. Never took it for the rain or washing, I guess I should.

As long as you take a little time to install the pick up sensor in relation to the disc bolt magnet correctly and you can remove the display screen for washing,it should be sound! :cry:

I love mine. Bought it on TT and they threw in a set of TT fender stickers with my order.

I'd recommend buying it here anyway. Support TT!