Sign in to follow this  

KLX won't idle

It will start and run with the choke knob out, but as soon as I push it in it dies. If I try and give it some throttle with the choke out, it dies. I'm also feeling more resistence sometimes when kicking. It seems to stick. Any ideas?

will it rev fine when the choke is out? because usually when a bike runs better with the choke out then in, it means that its running lean, or just not fully warmed. sounds like jetting to me.

It should have been completely warm and even with the choke out it would die with a little throttle. I pulled the plug and it was wet around the edge, but dry and light brown where the spark is.

Just an update. I checked the valve clearances and one of the intake valves is at the minimum clearance of the spec range. The other one is fine and so is the exhaust. The bike is still under warranty so I took it in. They told me the clearances are good, but the compression is really low. The compression should be around 140 and it's at 90. The shop is working with the kawai to make sure they stay within warranty. I think kawai is going to have the shop dig into the top end Monday. From what I've read in previous posts makes me wonder if all that needs to be done is reshim the intake valve. I guess I'm going find out.

Wow, I've never heard of a KLX closing down so fast. How many miles do you have on it? Maybe it came shimmed wrong from the factory. Let us know how it works out.

PS - if they do replace the valve, make sure they replace the valve spring too. Pay for it yourself if they won't cover it or say it's not necessary. Good insurance.

Something was/is DEFINATELY wrong from the factory. Although the KLX is prone to valve problems down the line, (2-3000 miles) it's nothing like the CRF, RMZ and KXF problems that seem to be surfacing early in the engines life. I'd say that there was definately a problem from the factory. Have your local shop service manager step up to the plate for you. My guess is that Kawi will make it right.

The shop found gouges in the cylinder walls. They are going to have to bore it out and put in a new piston. I'm wondering how this will affect the overall life of the motor.

The original cylinder is plated for longer life. Insist that they REPLACE the cylinder.

Ride on

Brewster

I agree. You bought a new bike and that's what you should get - not a bored out job. It will give you much more peace of mind to know it's stock and set up right per factory specs. If they won't do that, tell them you want them to install a Thumper 340 kit! :cry: :cry:

I'll call the shop about about replacing the cylinder. :cry: I jokingly ran the 340 kit past them. They didn't think it was funny. :cry:

I received a call from the shop on Friday notifying me that Kawai is not going to pay for my repairs. Then they gave me the number to Kawai's customer support. BTW the shop says the bike has gouges in the cylinder and piston, the rings are out of spec, and one valve isn't seating correctly. I think that's the story their sticking to anyway. Again the bike is under warranty and has 155 miles on it. So I call Rick at Kawai customer support and ask why Kawai isn't going to pay for the repairs. He tells me the shop told them I had a "dirt ingested engine" and there wasn't anything that could be determined defective so they weren't going to pay. I went on to explain how I've taken maticulos care of the bike, it shouldn't be having problems like this so soon, etc... We went back and forth awhile and things got a little heated. I wasn't budging so Rick says he'll call the shop and then call me back. He didn't call back, so I have to stew until Monday. In the mean time I call the shop and ask why did they tell Kawai it was a "dirt ingested engine" when they had told me the engine was really clean. The shop guy says that he told Kawai what was wrong with the parts and the engine was very clean. I'm getting the feeling I'm in the middle of a good cop, bad cop scenario.

Here's what I don't understand. How much dirt would it take to gouge the cylinder and piston? To do that kind of damage seems to me like it would have to be a rock or something. I've cleaned and oiled the filter on a regular basis, and it has never been that dirty. I even replaced the stock filter with a UNI. I haven't ridden in dusty conditions. The air box has always been spotless, and I left the backfire screen intact. I don't understand how dust could cause that kind of damage after only 155 miles.

Sorry to throw a wet rag on things here.

This is for Rick at Kawi, Kawai warranty, and my dealer. :cry::cry::cry:

The problem is obviously Kawasaki's. You've got to get the service manager on your side. That is the only way Kawi is going to step up. If the manager won't help you out, I tell the shop manager you're going to wheel the bike back onto their showroom floor and sit on it until they do something about it. The very least they can do is meet you halfway. Or pay for the labor while you pay the parts. This isn't right. The KLX is stone reliable. They know that. Be firm, friendly and don't back down or let them talk mechanic babble to you. Tell them it's not right and you'll make sure every riding buddy you ever knew will know how they took care of you - bad or good. If that doesn't work, youre screwed. You might as well cut your losses now. Take the bike to a DIFFERENT dealer and maybe they can do better for you. It sounds like your dealer isn't very.... how can I say this..... helpful. :cry:

If the manager won't help you out, I tell the shop manager you're going to wheel the bike back onto their showroom floor and sit on it until they do something about it.

:cry: :cry: :cry: Yeah, that's a good idea. I could drive it around to their events with the motor removed too. :cry:

I'm not backing down. They either make it right or I'll make sure that everyone I can reach will suffer from my whinning. We'll see what goes down on Monday.

They either make it right or I'll make sure that everyone I can reach will suffer from my whinning. We'll see what goes down on Monday.

Right on! :cry: :cry: Give em hell! But do it nicely. :cry:

I tracked down Rick a Kawi, he never called me back, and he is still holding on to the "dirt ingested engine" story. I was much more nice than the last time we talked and after a short exchange he says he'll have the shop send the parts to him so Kawai can take a look. I wanted to see the parts myself, so I headed down to the shop. I took pictures and the gouges in the cylinder suddenly disappeared, as the shop had previously stated. Here's a pic. I know it's hard to see.

cylinder

The valve that isn't seating correctly is in the lower right of the picture. The shop guy says the burn line is a little low on the valve seat. I'm taking his word for it.

valve seat

The gouge in the cylinder is a vertical hair thin scratch about 1/2" long and the top of the scratch is 1/2" below the rings.

piston1

piston2

Here's the air box.

So I don't know. The shinny parts look shinny like they should. I would think if I was getting 30% "blow-buy" then the piston would be burnt below the rings and it's not. The shop guys don't seem to know either or they are playing dumb. Hopefully the guys at Kawai will get this strait.

I called the dealer Friday and they say Kawa looked at the parts and said it didn't look at all like a "dirt ingested engine." Kawa is going to pay for the repairs. The valves and seats will be done. I'll get new rings and they'll hone the cylinder. I should get the bike back sometime next week. It will have been 6 weeks that I have been going back and forth between the dealer and kawa to get this resolved. Which sucks. I'm pretty burnt on the dealer and this whole episode. I'm glad I don't have to shell out cash these repairs. Now I can spend my money on the suspension. Can't wait to get in a good ride.

BTW Is there anything else I should have them do while they are putting the motor back together.