Sign in to follow this  

**POLL** Upper body protection for the ladies.

I know alot of you ladies have shown a dislike for the fit and quality of roost protectors designed for women. they either don't fit right, are uncomfortable, or offer little to no protection. So I have desided to take it upon myself to do a little market research, and see if we can't do something about this. My intentions are to get enough feed back that I can present to a few manufacturers to build a better mouse trap so to speak.

I (as well as several other TTer's) wear full upper body armor, and swear by it. It's articulated, vented, and protects like nothing else on the market. It costs a little more, but when you consider what you're getting, it's not that far outta line.

Here's an example of what I mean.

ba_pressure05.jpgba_pressure-back05.jpg

Now obviously, these were never designed with women in mind....but, what if there was one availible for women. Realizing that you were not all created equally, there would of course be some margin of error in the chest area. (too big for some, too small for others) But if this were availible as an option....would you wear it.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1095564663wolf_child">

Pressure suit type armor for wormen.....would you wear it?

<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />If it were availible, definately.

<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Not interested in this at all

<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

*NOTE: I left no third option for better standard roost deflectors, as I did not want to muddy the results with extranious information.

I just couldn't make myself put that on, not out in the desert where its close to 100 degrees some days! :cry:

However, In cooler locales, heck yeah, I'd be all over it! :cry:

Yeah, that looks hot as Hades, although, you said its well ventilated, the humidity here sometimes is enough to make you swelter just sitting on the front porch.

How restrictive is it? I'm already having a tough time getting used to all the equipment we need to wear.

I think I would feel pretty indestructible in that getup (that could be a good thing or a bad thing :cry: )

if I was hobbling along touri style in some cold climate

maybe - yes

in 90°and 80% humidity you can wear it yourself

an friend of mine had the ancester, a Dainese protector jacket, after a while she restricted it to steet use and got something a lot more vented for off road

ok,ok, these are the same things the guys all say when we start talking about these.

THEY ARE NOT HOT WHILE YOUR MOVING! but they do get alittle warn when your just hanging out. I bought this get-up when I was riding in FL, and have worn it in temps where the heat index exceeded 104+, and as I said, it's not hot while your moving, it's actually quite cool. and movement restriction is not an issue, it's like wearing a good jacket.

I can't for the life of me figure out why people are so afraid to try these things, :cry: but instead go for the chest protectors. Are people THAT afraid of change? :cry:

no not afraid to change at all

BUT

more hotblooded than you :cry:

or sooo much slower :cry:

when Hebo came up with a protector very much like this I tried and sold it

had an MG downhill jacket - for one ride

much too warm, cuts out all the wind

The newer designs are all made from an open mesh as the main body, with the armor attache to that, the older ones were Lycra ( I had a Dianese ballistic suit for Down hill MTB back in the day, so I Know what you mean by HOT :cry:)

still all that padding is DIRECTLY ON you cutting off air circulation and not loosely attached the way a roost deflector is

NO WAY

One of the guys I ride with wears a sixsixone pressure suit. It looks like it's made out of fish-net stockings. It doesn't seem tight, hot or restrictive at all. He just wears a white tank top and uses the body armor as a jersey. It's all one unit, so everything seems to stay in place (I wear elbow pads and sometimes they slip a little.). I would consider wearing body armor if they made one for us.

I just rode with a gal who wears one of those w/ the mesh. She's quite busty and it fit her just fine. If I remember correctly, she really likes it. Now my son wants one(he says his chest protector is uncomfortable). As for me, I don't wear any upper body protection. Just a personal preference.

THEY ARE NOT HOT WHILE YOUR MOVING! but they do get alittle warn when your just hanging out. I bought this get-up when I was riding in FL, and have worn it in temps where the heat index exceeded 104+, and as I said, it's not hot while your moving, it's actually quite cool. and movement restriction is not an issue, it's like wearing a good jacket.

I can't for the life of me figure out why people are so afraid to try these things, :cry: but instead go for the chest protectors. Are people THAT afraid of change? :cry:

Well, I can see that its not hot when you're moving... my street bike gear is the same way. Its the getting it off part afterwards that makes me cringe! It has to be somewhat snug, to work properly (and protect properly) and I've struggled out of scuba wet suits in hot weather, and nearly passed out... the question is, how fast CAN you disrobe once you stop??? :cry:

And I can see this kind of gear being in the closet with my full street riding leathers... "no, I don't need that today, I'm not REALLY going to 'push it', I'll just wear my jacket & jeans"... etc, etc. Hate to buy something I'm not likely to wear!

Just curious, do you wear your every time you ride? :cry:

Well, I can see that its not hot when you're moving... my street bike gear is the same way. Its the getting it off part afterwards that makes me cringe! It has to be somewhat snug, to work properly (and protect properly) and I've struggled out of scuba wet suits in hot weather, and nearly passed out... the question is, how fast CAN you disrobe once you stop??? :cry:

And I can see this kind of gear being in the closet with my full street riding leathers... "no, I don't need that today, I'm not REALLY going to 'push it', I'll just wear my jacket & jeans"... etc, etc. Hate to buy something I'm not likely to wear!

Just curious, do you wear your every time you ride? :cry:

Yes I do, it has a zipper up the side to the neck and gettin it on/off is just like putting on a jacket. System incorperates chest/back/ shouder/upper arm/forearm/elbow protection and a kidney belt...all in one unit. To me riding with out it makes as much sence as riding w/o a helmet. :cry:

Yes I do, it has a zipper up the side to the neck and gettin it on/off is just like putting on a jacket. System incorperates chest/back/ shouder/upper arm/forearm/elbow protection and a kidney belt...all in one unit.

Well, thats a smart feature... makes a difference to know you can get in & out of it in a hurry, it just LOOKS intimidating! :cry: Might have to save my pennies...

When you get a sample one for women I will be the first to give it a try! I tried one on that was similiar but it did not fit in the chest area at all! To get it to fit that area the rest was too big! It seemed to soft to help do anything when I fell! The thing I like about my chest protector is it seems to protect alot more then just my chest. When I fall it always seems to be on the right or left upper arm/shoulder area and I don't really feel a thing with my chest protector on. I like that it has a hard casing going over my shoulders and the part that covers the shoulder joint and Delts has the hard shell as well but pivots as needed! Falling on the chest area for a women is different then if your guy and having the extra padding does not make it hurt less! I have fallen on a big rock on my chest and my chest protector was doing it's job great! It's like having a turtle's shell on. :cry:

In hot weather everything is hot!

I would be willing to try it but it needs some motifications!

Just my .02! :cry:

I really wanted one of those but I tried a bunch of different sizes and styles and none of them fit me. It would be nice if they were proportioned for women. You would also think that they would make them in grey instead of black so they aren't soaking up the sun. That was my other concern.

Another problem I have with the body armor is that lots of times I go to the desert for 3, 4 days of riding... Its not a problem to pack lots of jerseys, and throw the chest protector over them, but if my protection was built into the jersey out there there is no way to WASH it between days... :cry: I was seriously looking at the AXO armor jerseys when this occured to me...