Sign in to follow this  

thinking of buying an '05, how different from '02

I've been looking at the new YZ125...actually I have been looking at everything, but I am back to the YZF. I love my '02 but my kid just took it over. How much differencedo you think there will be between the '02 and the '05? I realize the '05 isn't out yet but even those of you with '04's might be able to give me a hint. What is the wieght difference? I can't rmember what my '02 was rated at on wieght.

The difference will be night and day! At least 2lbs. have been dropped on the bike each year, so you are looking at a minimum of 6lbs. weight reduction. Plus the motor has been massaged for a little extra power each year. The '05 also has brand new suspension technology that the factory boyz have been using the last few years. For what it's worth, I love my '04 and haven't had a problem with it, but I can't wait to get my '05 and see how the new suspension works! Other changes from '04 include direct route front brake line, narrowed intake ports for more power, and revised Accelerator Pump. To quote Starski and Hutch, "Do it!"

the 250f gets the same forks as the 450, and my 450 is like riding on a marshmallow. they really did a good thing with the forks this year.

the 02 will feel like a tank compared to the 05. It felt like a tank compared to the 03.

I had an 02 and now have an 04. The 04 made the 02 feel like a tank. Motor is messaged for a little more,suspension is better, and ergonomically the 02 is obsolete. You will like the improvements to the 05, I guarentee it-

Ive got a 02 myself and have been looking at the 05's too but Ive decided I'll wait till yamaha unleashes there weapon, There Aluminum Framed YZ250F :cry: :cry:

Yes, if only they had done the aluminum frame this year! I know that if I buy the '05 I will be wanting the '06 as soon as it comes out. I usually like to go a few years between purchases so my wallet can recover. Weight is very important to me though, the alternative is hving to get in better shape.....nah