patching a tire?

OK, don't yell at me, but, can I use a bicycle inner tube patch on my drz tubes if it covers the hole? Given that a bicycle tube holds up to 120psi and my DRZ tire only holds 21psi, shouldn't it work ok in a fix? Am I missing something? Are they different compounds or something? ?

Thanks,

Paul

Nope it should work fine. Just use a high quality patch and do it the proper way and your golden. I wouldn't trust one on a huge hole but if its small who cares. Depends on where you ride. I wouldn't want to be miles from civilization with a flat. But if your track ridin or whatever. ?

I get a kick out of people who dont read the instructions and dont scruff the tube or let the cement dry before attaching the patch. ? Oh how has the human race survived this long? ?

I'll never patch a tire again. I had a flat in early spring and tried that Fix a Flat stuff in a can for automobiles. Worked excellent ..... it patched the tire and pumped it up at the same time very quickly! Now I don't leave home without it! ? I am still using the tire today on both trail and highway. ?

Hmmmmm. So fix-a-flat actually worked Sunny?

Fix-a-flat is designed for tubeless tires like automobiles.... so you're saying it worked fine on your DRZ? Interesting.....and good to know. Not sure if I trust it, but interesting.

Works great on car flats.

Being a long time cyclist, the only worry I would have over using bicycle patches.....especially the ones the have the self adhesive on them.....is heat. I don't see a bicycle heating it's tires the way a motorcycle will. Tire flex (either on or off road) will heat your tire way past what a bicycle will endure.

I've only used bicycle patched tubes to get me home, back to the truck or to an overnight stop where I can replace the tube completely. Although my bicycle tubes have 5 or more patches before replacement I don't ride my motorcycles with patched tubes.

Years ago my Dad used to patch car tubes with patches that actually had a flammable material on the back side of a small metal form. The kit came with a clamp that held the patch to the cleaned roughened tube and then you lit the flammable stuff with a match. The patch was heat vulcanized to the tube. We made trips throuout the Mojave desert with tires patched with way on our old Chevy truck...never had a problem. I haven't seen this type of patching for a while now. I wonder if the kits are still out there.

Yes butt you sould put a new tube in when you get a chance to go to the bike store .

I always have a spare front and rear tube alond with other stuff in a crate when I go riding.

Come on you probably spent $300. on a pipe or new plastic you don't need , spend $7.00 on a tube you do need. ?

PS Fix A Flat does work good but it will gum up your tire gaude. You'll have to wait till it dries to check your air. That means not the day you put it in and will probably only need half the can. ?

After all it is meant for a big car tire at 60 psi not a little dirtbike tire at 15psi.

Hmmmmm. So fix-a-flat actually worked Sunny?

Fix-a-flat is designed for tubeless tires like automobiles.... so you're saying it worked fine on your DRZ? Interesting.....and good to know. Not sure if I trust it, but interesting.

Works great on car flats.

From a guy with way to much experience with flats for one person, I can say that tire sealant type compounds might be alright for tiny punctures, but they are useless for most of the flats I've had. I have on two separate occasions sprayed that stuff in only to watch it slowly pour out into the dirt. ? :cry:

I have used patched tubes for extended periods without problems though. When I've gotten a flat on a patched tube, it has always been due to another hole.