Sign in to follow this  

Am I a Leak Jet Candidate???

Went out riding today, and let a friend borrow my bike. When he got back, he said my bike had a big time bog. He showed me by giving the throttle a big quick turn from idling, and the bike would either die or cough. I've been reading about the 40 leak jet fixing this sort of problem. Does this 40 leak jet apply to the 04 250f's as well? Or should I just give the carb a good cleaning before I spend the $$ on the jet? Thanks.

Evaluate the rest of your jetting first. Is your main right? Does it pull hard all the way up to the top, with no missing or blubbering.

Then check your needle. Is it strong through the middle? No hiccups or flat spots.

Then your pilot circuit. Does it return quickly to idle, and idle steadily? Can you ride around at 1/8 and 1/4 throttle without it missing or bucking? Can you snap the throttle wide open from about 1/4 throttle without it falling on its face? Adjust your fuel screw to get the best response and idle possible. Only change you pilot jet if you have to.

When the answer to all of these questions is "YES", then if it still bogs when snapping the throttle from idle, then yes, you are an official leak jet candidate.

Thanks for your post. I haven't changed anything at all, it's all stock jetting. I'm at sea level and usually ride in the 80's. I'll go ride it today and check all the things you mentioned.