Sign in to follow this  

Slime in tires?

Hello,

One of my good friends uses something called slime in his bicycle tires. He says it will seal a punchure. Have any of you tried this on your DRZ yet? If so I'd like to hear how it is working out for you.

Thanks, Fran

I bought my DRZ with 60 miles on it! The first thing I did was change the tires to bridgerocks. When I got them apart the original owner had slimed the tubes and it made a mess of evrything! I'm sure in a quad or tractor it's ok but in a motorcycle with balance issues at speed and removal getting seriously messy i would not do it! I went and bought new tubes cause I could'ent get the stuff out if that tells you anything. I do use slime in both of my quads too so i know it works! Just not on a cycle , bad idea! :cry:

Yeah. I would'nt put it in as a precaution but you can be sure that when I ride a carry a co2 inflater pump combo and a small tube of slime. Ive been stuck in the woods before miles from home. In that case slime is a savior. Yeah its a mess and you have to replace the tube but thats cheap compared to leaving your bike in the woods and walking several miles.

I've used "Slime" religiously on my streebikes and my DRZ, it works. :cry: I hear people whine about balance issue about it alot and can honestly say I've NEVER had this happen. I wonder if the others are just using too much of it (there is a formula that you need to use to determine the correct amount), or not riding the bike for a good distance directly after putting it in. :cry:

i use this stuff on my 950 because changing that tube in the field is near impossible web page . It supposedly is a step or two above slime and actually corrects tire imbalance problems. It has not gone in my dirt bike tires but it may. None of this crap will help in a pinch flat.

I use Slime all the time, never had a flat, even pulled a 4 inch nail out of my tire, fully expected to repair a flat after that, rode on that tire till it was time to change the tire. But be warned, if you slime a tube, you can't patch it. I change the tubes out once a year any way. Every time a tube is removed, you can see the holes it plugged, figure it saved me several flats over the years. As for balance, as long as the Slime is in a liquid state, it won't effect it. If you let the bike sit for a long period, I understand the slime will harden at the bottom of the tube.

I've not found slime useful in sealing punctures,, but it has seemed to hemp me with pinch flats. I run low tire pressures,, but hit stuff a little to hard, or fast once and awhile.. Causing pinch flats,, the slime seems to allow the tube to slip and slid a bit more then without.

I'll never bother with it again. It didn't help me up at Taylor on Saturday, and here's the proof: :cry:

taylor_trip_tim_flat.JPG

It also has a nasty way of getting back at you (or your buddy, in this case) when "dissed".

taylor_trip_mark_slimed.JPG

This was the first time I've had to change a tire on the trail and only the second time at changing a tire ever. I built a tire-changing station a week or two ago and learned how to do my back tire (thanks to some info posted here).

I've never had the front wheel off before and things looked bad when the front axle bolt started to spin when trying to remove the axle nut. Why I carry a spark plug socket and not a spark plug, I don't know; but I'm sure glad I do. I had to gouge out the rubber insert to get a 3/8" socket driver from my MP multi-purpose tool in there, but I got the tire changed and catastrophe averted.

So ya went to Taylor huh? That's my old stompin grounds. You had better run lots of air in them tires and the heaviest tubes you can get a hold of. Those rocks ain't playing, they love to flatten tires and beleive me they do it on a regular basis. Welcome to Colorado riding. Forget all that stuff you learned in the flatlands it won't help you much up there. Run air 20 pounds is a good starting point. Then have fun. You will quickly see why I run 13-50 gearing. prairiedawg :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ya we all put the heavy duty tubes in our DRZ's before we went to colorado a few weeks back. Some of trails were so rocky and brutal that i thought I was going to pinch them big ol fat tubes as well. There was a section of trail over by Tin Cup and It was extreme compared to say Tin cup pass or Mt antereo ! I swore I was gonna cut my tire in half! You can't stop! You just Can't! :cry: