Sign in to follow this  

Slight Exhaust Leak

Hi, I have a slight exhaust leak at my mid pipe (2004 WR250F). I have a sx FMF powerbomb header with stock header and what I did was order a mid pipe gasket for a 2003 wr 450 , fit the powerbomb header great (at least the one I borrowed) When I put the new one in my pipe and on the bike I have a very slight leak in one spot. I moved around the clamp, even shimmed the clamp to get it tighter still a leak.

The leak can be felt by putting my finger near the joint.The bike is running good with no backfiring or popping.

My questions are will a very sight leak cause any damage to my motor?? and will RED Hi-TEMP RTV work to seal the leak and if so for how long???

I had a small "pin hole" type leak on my exhaust were the slip on and the header meet. I used Permatex Red RTV to seal it and it worked fine. I've only had it on for a 2 rides so I can't say how long it will last.

If the RTV doesn't work for you I think they make some type of exhaust tape. :cry:

I had the same problem on my YZ. I'm not sure what grade that sealant is... but you need something that's good for at least 650* to keep from burning. That should cure the problem.

However, if you have to put your finger up to it to feel it, it's not a problem worth worrying about. You won't lose any performance and it's not bad for your motor at all.