Sign in to follow this  

Chest Guard: On / Off / Under ?

I'm picking up my 1st dirtbike this weekend and I have a question about gear.

I'm paging thru a DirtBike magazine and I see people wearing their chest guards:

Outside their Jersey

The rest are either NOT wearing one, or have it tucked underneath their Jersey.

It seems to be 50/50.

Are people wearing their chest guards under their Jerseys these days?

depends on if you buy one for the outside or the inside. most MX riders (pros you see on TV) wear the under the jersey roost protectors. Its really up to you, I feel you get more protection from a Outside the jersey type, but Im sure many will say just the opposite.

So they have different models, designed to go under the jersey, or can i just strap on any chest guard and throw a jersey over it?

And for you guys wearing it under, do you typically use a larger jersey then wearing it over?

I bought a Large jersey. I'm 6" 200lbs. Not skinny, but not fat either. lol

no matter what you wear it won`t help in a crash. i prefer waering just a jersey. i have worn them all and went back to just a jersey. i race nationals and most guys in the 250 class dont wear any thing. its just so comfortable.. just my opinion though.

I am a bilg believer in wearing the gear. Once you get used to wearing, you don't even notice it until you stop and get off the bike.

I managed to get highsided coming off a fourth gear downhill into a turn. Landed okay and was starting to slow down and started to swap, never had a chance becuase it happened so quick.

About the time my feet were going over my head while I was flying, I was able to actually think to myself about how it was going to hurt. Well, I woke up five or six minutes later to paramedics asking me what day it was. I figured that out too. But once I got back to the truck I looked at my the back side of my chest protector and it was CHEWED up. Had I not been wearing one, my back would have been hamburger meat. Plus the other thought is if you wipe out and land on your back, suppose there is a rock that you land on that happenes to be right were your back is.

I know there plenty of guys that play that macho "I don't need that gear" crap but you dress for the crash. Nobody plans on it but it happenes. Its for the same reason I wear knee braces not just shin guards. I use to Asterisk and have been fine with them.

If this is going to be your first bike, get a chest protector. It's not a magic bullet to protect you from everything but it could make the difference between a signific injury or just a bruise. Please, please, please, buy and wear the stuff. Get the plastic front and back protector. That back part could keep you walking. They also tend to help if you get run over.

no matter what you wear it won`t help in a crash.

I agree with Fathom on this one. My first real experience taking my new bike out resulted in this belief. I hit a big rock head on. Long story short, I didn't have a chest protector yet so the end of the handlebar skidded across my sternum, leaving a big "Mark of the Zorro" scar that was painfully bruised for about 3 months...the scar is permanent. If I had the gear, I am sure I would've been fine. After I got the right gear I had another 'offing' and went flying belly down face first into the woods. Skidded about 20 feet on my stomach. I attribute the chest protector to doing it's job on that one also. It is much more than a roost guard! Be safe and learn from your mistakes (not to mention ours), grasshopper.

I'm picking up my 1st dirtbike this weekend and I have a question about gear.

I'm paging thru a DirtBike magazine and I see people wearing their chest guards:

Outside their Jersey

The rest are either NOT wearing one, or have it tucked underneath their Jersey.

It seems to be 50/50.

Are people wearing their chest guards under their Jerseys these days?

On = Yes!

Off = No! Unless you want to get hurt!

Under = If you wish

PS Check out the RockGardN (or whatever its called) suit, advertised at thumpertalk... I have one of those and love it :cry:

no matter what you wear it won`t help in a crash. i prefer waering just a jersey. i have worn them all and went back to just a jersey. i race nationals and most guys in the 250 class dont wear any thing. its just so comfortable.. just my opinion though.

DUMB!!!!!! I will tell you from riding for 15+ years that I honestly would have been broken or killed without a chest protector. Those who ride without are ignorant IMO. I have:

Slammed my chest into: Handle Bars, Damper, gas tank. MULTIPLE times.

I have fallen backwards down a steep cayon to impale against a log with a stick pointing out. Severely bruised my back and would have literally skewered me without the chest protector. Scary stuff. Also landed on my back on the bike...again only bruised due to chest protector.

Yes Im preaching here because Ive seen riders in the desert be helicoptered out with broken sternums from impaling the bars with their chests.....no protector.

I wear mine OUTSIDE as the inner protectors are typically soft foam and offer less protection. Look at most any GNCC rider or desert rider....OUTSIDE. Take it for what its worth :cry:

Cisco said it all.

Norwegian, I've been trying to figure out what to get b/twn the RockGardN and the different 661 pressure suits. Does yours fit nice and snug? How breathable is that thing? The pressure suits look awfully hot, the rockgardn looks a little cooler.

Chest protector a must have!

When I was riding the dunes at Pismo beach I didnt think I needed chest protector but glad I wore it anyways due to me getting ejected off bike doing 80+mph as I got hit square in chest by a Seagull!

Very glad I was wearin even where youd think you dont need it you never know what is going to happen

Chest protector a must have!

When I was riding the dunes at Pismo beach I didnt think I needed chest protector but glad I wore it anyways due to me getting ejected off bike doing 80+mph as I got hit square in chest by a Seagull!

Very glad I was wearin even where youd think you dont need it you never know what is going to happen

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Cisco said it all.

Norwegian, I've been trying to figure out what to get b/twn the RockGardN and the different 661 pressure suits. Does yours fit nice and snug? How breathable is that thing? The pressure suits look awfully hot, the rockgardn looks a little cooler.

I ride with th 661 pressure suit, it does have hard plastic in the chest covered with padding, its not really that hot when your riding, the wind blows through it pretty good. until you stop in the sun. I really like the fact that I have pads from my wrist to my shoulders. IMO its more comfy than a regular chest protector.

I wear my chest protector all the time. Sometimes under my jersey, mostly over it.

I one time went down and had the bars smash me in the chest. It cracked the protector, and still gave me a little bruise on the rib. Had I not had it on, I truly believe I would have had a snapped rib.

They are not designed to protect in a crash - but I believe they don't hurt. I rarely go down, but I still wear one.

Thanks for the reply's guys.

I'm definitally going to get/wear one.

I was just curious as to what people were doing mostly these days as to wearing it inside or outside the jersey.

I didn't even know they made guards specifically for being worn under the jersey. Lots of good info in here, thanks again!

Outside and I think it is just as important as boots second only to the helmet.

Thanks for the reply's guys.

I'm definitally going to get/wear one.

I was just curious as to what people were doing mostly these days as to wearing it inside or outside the jersey.

I didn't even know they made guards specifically for being worn under the jersey. Lots of good info in here, thanks again!

I wear my inside the Jersey. It's just one less thing to clean especially on those muddy days. I get a size up on the Jersey though. In addition to Chest Protectors, I would recommend elbow guards, knee protection, and some good boots. In my early riding days before I had elbow protectors, I had a low speed dump over in a turn and my elbow landed on a rock or something and hurt for weeks....

:cry: