Sign in to follow this  

Z-Start Perch Adjuster Question

Just put a z-start and perch adjuster on. My question is that about my understanding of the role of the perch adjuster. Is the role of the perch adjuster only to make sure you have the sufficient amount of slack in the cable to allow you to keep the clutch lever??? When I installed the z-start itself, it fell with in spec limit between the plates, and when I took it for a spin it seemed to function fine, atually great :cry: :cry:.. But I worry that I may not have the perch adjuster set right. I set it so that while at a high RPM while in gear moving, the clutch lever is not pulled tight against its own perch, in turn not stretchig the cable. Iis this the right train of thought? Thanks for any thoughts...

Set the perch adjuster so you have some slack when revving the bike over 6K. It doesn't have to be in gear, neutral is OK.

The perch adjust is just an external stall speed spring on the end of your cable. Its has the same function as the external spring for the guys that don't run the perch adjuster. It assists the internal spring in holding the clutch disengaged until the balls run up the ramps and force the pressure plate into the clutch pack.

If the clutch lever doesn't have slack at high rpm it can prevent the pressure plate from clamping fully and lead to clutch slip, excessive heat and clutch plate wear.