Sign in to follow this  

XR400R Clutch question.

I recently replaced my clutch plates and springs. Now after the bike sets for a few days and I go to put it in gear, it jumps and stalls like I didn't use the clutch. After a few minutes it works fine. It does not feel out of adjustment, but I'm probably wrong. Any ideas?

I did put oil on the plates.

Thanks,

Chad

You did pay attention to how the last clutch plate goes in, didn't you? It's offset from all the others, in the short slot....

A friend of mine replaced the entire clutch pack (all the plates) twice before he finally discovered how to do it right. He was glazing the fiber plates and the clutch began to slip a lot. It worked ok for a while.

Sometimes if you are using the wrong oil the clutch plates will tend to stick together when cold. I am not saying this is the problem as I don't know what oil you are using , but it is a possiblity.

Cher'o,

Dwight

When Im letting my bike warm up I push the clutch in a couple of times and hold it in for a sec or two and it seems to shift into first a lot smoother than if i didnt hold the clutch in for a sec or two. Also I have to take my clutch apart and offset the last plate as I failed to do it.