Sign in to follow this  

xr250 engine, service life?

I'm looking to buy a higher mileage 1994 XR250L for street use. :excuseme:Bike has 18,000 miles, should I expect to rebuild the motor anytime soon? :cry: Or do you guys see these running for 30,000 miles? :cry:

i had a 93 xr250L, i'de say if its not blowing smoke its going to sooner or later.

Unless its been babied with synthetic oil and valves were adjusted often , the motor is going to need some work soon.

The engine on the highway is pretty much pinned all the time.

Its a durable motor but nothing lasts forever.

If you buy it plan on eventually dumping a good $500 for motor work, this would be , piston, rings wristpin, valve guide seals, timing chain, possibly intake valves , valve seats recut, and hopefully the rockers and cam are good, if not you can add about $300 for cam and rockers.Its is not uncommon to change a rocker especially if the valves were not maintained.

Thats pretty much my take on it, you may escape not changing a few parts now but i'm giving you the worse case.

Its still a good bike if its in good shape, another fellow on this forum has one and he's had pretty good luck with his.

stu