Sign in to follow this  

Licensing

I have a 2003 XR650r and Im in Washington. I read thru this forum and seen some bikes are "plated". Does that make you legal to ride on some of the forest service roads around here? If so what do I have to go thru to get one?

Yes, I'm clear to ride on all USFS dirt roads, plus DNR land etc. And if I was to get real crazy, I could set it up to run down I-5, but its not my area of interest. I road plated my 04 WR450F only to zip down a dirt road, ride in Naches without having to push across asphalt, or maybe just take the road back because I'm beat, or whatever. As Eric said, its basically "hell", if your bike title reads "not eligible for road use" and the "use" section reads "ORV", your screwed....[this section of text was removed] :cry:

Im going to do some checking into it. Like you I dont want to run mine down the freeway but it would be nice if I could ride to the trail in some places. In my own opinion I think they should have a kind of in between license. One that would let you ride forest service and DNR roads legally. I think its crazy in Washington anyway to forbid you from licensing a bike that almost every other state will let you license. I know, Ill take mine apart, put it back together, call it a custom built bike and they should do it...they do it for choppers :cry: bahahahahaha

i don't see what the problem is. unless they have changed something recently. get the baha kit or a trick kit and make sure it's all street legal. take it to the dmv and title it. i have three dual sport bikes and have not had any problem doing this. ???????? :cry:

Kaos

i don't see what the problem is. unless they have changed something recently. get the baha kit or a trick kit and make sure it's all street legal. take it to the dmv and title it. i have three dual sport bikes and have not had any problem doing this. ???????? :cry:

The problem is, they flat dont do inspections/conversions after about mid 2000 year. Quit all together, zilch, nada. If you have a title that reads "ORV" you'll also notice in red letters on the bottom, it will read "not eligible for road use" and if you buy new, its MSO will state its for off road use. No converions are done in this state after 2000! Now it doesnt mean you cant have a conversion, you just cant do it in WA. Did you buy a new off road bike in WA and road plate it? Or did you import it from another state? I have to admit, it has been great for KTM sales though.

two of the bikes are vintage models. 1970's area. neither had plates or titles. i went to the local dmv and had them titled and licenced. was not a problem. either i lead a charmed life or there is someone there that does not know what you are stating. :cry:

Kaos

Well, the status of your bike is probably been purged, the database may only go back so far, and the old titles didnt say "not eligible for road use", even if it was an ORV in the use class and if thats the case, it would be easy to do. But they have been branding titles for some time now.

Cut and dry. if you want road plates then spend your money elsewhere other then WA. If dirt bike sales go down then someone will do something about it. :cry: :cry: