Sign in to follow this  

KLX 300 Fixes

I have searched this forum as well as KLXzone and I am not sure about which year Kawasaki fixed the idler gear and shifting problems with the KLX 300. Were they fixed on all models after '03? I am looking into either getting a KDX 200 or a KLX 300 for some trail riding. The KDX is appealing because of its price and cheap upgrades. The problem is the future of 2 stroke trail bikes is in question. I don't want to buy one only to find out that in 3 years I won't be able to ride it legal anywhere. How well does a stock KLX 300 perform? I hear so much talk about replacing the carb. If I were to get a KLX would it be a reliable, powerful trail bike in stock mode? If I were to get a new KLX the the mods would have to wait due to lack of funds.. :cry: I know this is a KLX forum but I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of each bike.

The idler gear problem was fixed mid-2002. Actually, the idler is still the same for all intents, but they re-timed the exhaust cam to make the KLX easier to kick over - thus taking the pressure off the idler. I have buddies with 2002's. One is "fixed" and the other one is the old way. If you are unsure, I'd get a 2003 or newer or have Bruce re-time yours with his ACR mod.

The KDX and KLX are both great bikes. Put a dynojet kit in the KLX and get it jetted and uncorked and it's a great performer for trails. If you want more of a "hit" save up for a pumper carb. Personally, I'm pretty happy with my modded KLX and dynojetted cvk.

Uhhhh, Bill:

The idler gear is different on the mid 2002 and newer models. Kawasaki changed the gear and the shaft that it rides on.

Ride on

Brewster

Ive had both bikes. They are 2 completely different machines. Your riding style would be the determining factor here. The new laws that will go into effect will not be a factor in your use of 2 strokes as they will be grandfathered in.

Bruce, I thought they only changed the bushing on the idler. Am I wrong? :cry: Wouldn't be the first time. :cry:

Bill;

I can't confirm either of our views as I can't find, in the parts break down, the shaft that the idler gear rides on. I may have it confused with the output shaft that the drive sprocket mounts on. Guess that I'll have to go out and do some riding to clear the cob webs from my little brain.

Wrench on

Brewster

I'm pretty sure you're right, they changed the shaft and the gear. When I'm not acting so lazy I'll check part numbers on buykawasaki.com . :cry:

snip....Guess that I'll have to go out and do some riding to clear the cob webs from my little brain.

Wrench on

Brewster

Sounds good to me! :cry: I haven't been on the bike for 3 weeks now and am getting stir crazy. I'm going to try to get out with Ric on Tuesday and do some desert riding now that it's cooled off down here. Have fun!

I'd love to hear followup on the idler gear and shaft. I sold my '03 and am in the process of bringing my new '98 up to par. I plan on having a new bushing machined, but if there's other new parts I want to do it all correct the first time and not deal with a loose or broken idler gear.

Came in a bit late on this. What is the ACR fix, and the machining fix on the Idler gear???

Thanks

The "ACR fix" changes the position of the Automatic Compression Release (ACR)on KLX's from somewhere in the 2002 model year and older. This mod keeps the exhaust valve open later in the compression stroke and makes the engine easier to kick over.

There is a great write up about the mod on www.PlanetKLX.com

Ride on

Brewster